Asian Weddings

Learning Tagalog

My FI is fluent in Tagalog and so is his whole family.  I am Irish and I really would like to learn.  When I go to his family's parties everyone is speaking Tagalog.  His father is always trying to teach me different things, and everyone is very nice at trying to include me, but I really want to learn it for myself.  We plan on teaching our children someday, and I wouldn't like them knowing a language that I don't.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I tried some translators and my FI says that most of them are wrong with their grammar or terminology.  Does anyone know if the rosetta stone for Tagalog is worth it?

Re: Learning Tagalog

• edited December 2011
    Sounds like we are in the same boat. My future sister-in-law has Rosetta Stone in Taglog and is going to let me use it. Since, she speaks and understands Taglog fluently I can only assume it is successful. Hope this helps!!
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is Filipino and yes, the Tagalog Rosetta Stone is ABSOLUTELY 100% worth it.  It's a very easy language to learn.  GL! :)
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is also Filipino (born & raised there). I took a class at my local community college, but I've forgotten a lot of what I learned. Maybe I should get Rosetta Stone, too? 

I feel the same way. If we have kids, I want them to learn Tagalog, and I don't want to be left out of their conversations!
    Planning Bio

Dan + Amanda

Wedding Countdown Ticker

To be loved, be lovable
  • NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in this boat too and was wondering if Rosetta Stone was worth it. I would LOVE our kids to be bilingual and I feel left out sometimes when the FI and his family are talking. I want to learn enough to at least be able to realize when they are talking about me. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards