September 2013 Weddings

Am I Getting Ahead of Myself?

So I have been getting as much of the wedding planning done as possible. So far we have put the deposit down on the reception hall, caterer, and decorator. I have also ordered my dress, picked colors, and started asking my girls. I am going next week to look at my decorators decorations and in July to look at bridesmaids dresses. Alot of people have told me that I am getting way ahead of myself as I still have 15 months left (9/14/13). What has everyone else done and should I be doing anything else right now?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Am I Getting Ahead of Myself?

• <div>Its YOUR wedding, you set your own timeline. I think, the sooner the better than your not rushing around last minute, I'm about the same progress as you and I have a bunch of little things done as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_am-i-getting-ahead-of-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:1159f3ad-46f0-4544-af26-68c98782d822Post:aaff8bb8-da72-4872-88f8-a5f98d41e138">Am I Getting Ahead of Myself?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I have been getting as much of the wedding planning done as possible. So far we have put the deposit down on the reception hall, caterer, and decorator. I have also ordered my dress, picked colors, and started asking my girls. I am going next week to look at my decorators decorations and in July to look at bridesmaids dresses. Alot of people have told me that I am getting way ahead of myself as I still have 15 months left (9/14/13). What has everyone else done and should I be doing anything else right now?
    Posted by staceymutrup[/QUOTE]
  • Jlp818Jlp818 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have the venue, baker, photobooth, DJ, florist, my bouqet has been ordered (brooch) and I'm meeting with photographer today.  I also have tried on a couple of dresses and have an idea of my bridesmaids dresses.   There are still sooooooooo many things to do and I am happy I have started early!  My fiance's cousin just got engaged and they want to get married in October she is going nuts.  I don't want to be going nuts at all. 
    Get all your ducks in a row and have fun.  You will be less stressed later on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks girls! I have looked into DJ's but around here there isnt many to pick from. My future sister-in-law is a photographer but she is obviously in the wedding so she is on a mission to find me a photographer and actually just booked my cake today!

• Sorry My earlier post was so short, I had my daughter in my arms. I'm a 9/28/2013 Bride. So far I have booked my Church, Reception Venue, DJ, Photographer, Purchased My invitations, Tried on some dresses, Look at bridesmaid dresses online, picked my color scheme, and bought some things for my bathroom baskets.

I think the sooner the better because than closer to the wedidng you can enjoy the time with your fiance' before he becomes your husband and you won't have to stress and scramble for all the details. 
  • I agree that you should get as much done as you feel comfortable with.  You want to enjoy your engagement and not spend it frazzled over details.  I personally have my venues booked, dress bought, colors picked, bouquet done (silk flowers), invites and save the dates designed, as well as paper purchased.  I also have many more ideas, they just haven't been implemented yet.  This is what I needed to do in order to do to feel like I had a handle over everything.  My best suggestion would be to set up a timeline and prioritize what you need/want to get done.  This will help you realize how much you really have to do.

On a separate note, other married friends suggested that I start booking the major things sooner rather than later because they ran into problems when they waited.  Either their date was booked, or the paticular limo they wanted was no longer available for their day.  I would rather book early and have things the way I have envisioned than wait and be upset.
    September 2013 Siggy ~Hair Inspiration~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have the church, priest, and reception venue all taken care of.  I'm hoping to have the photographer and videographer by the end of next week.  Most of the WP has been asked.  I know my main color (still up in the air about an accent).  I have a lot mroe that I'm trying to get done this summer rather than waiting.

My FI is looking for a job and will hopefully find one in the next year.  Once that happens, we're moving.  Because we both still live with our parents (to save $$ for the wedding and to pay off student loans), it's going to be a big deal when we move.  I don't want to feel stressed because I'm "behind" in wedding planning to figure out a move.

Do what feels comfrotable to you.  Only you know your own situation.  Some people were surprised I've been planning already but those people don't know about the job/moving situation.  When people find out about that, they tell me I haven't done enough.  So it's your timeline.  Do what you want. :-)
  • I have the church, priest, reception venue, DJ, photographer and have an appointment with the person who will definitely be the videographer.  I'm also meeting with potential vendors who will oversee the floral and decor of everything since I am not a diy/artsy/crafty person at all!  I know what I like when I see it.  But I need someone who is creative to show it to me and then I pick.  The best folks for that kind of thing go really quick!  I would be freaking out if I didn't at least have things reserved and deposits put down early.  Then I can focus on the details later without feeling as rushed.  I'm also looking at STDs cause we are having a ton of OOT guests from all over the world.  Do what feels right to you and don't be hard on yourself.  But also if you hit a snag just go with the flow.  All the best.
  • mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Agreed -- book what you want when you decide on something! My FI keeps telling me that I'm going to change my mind a million times before the wedding (9/28/13), but in reality, HE is the one that has been wavering on decisions! In my mind, once something is done, it can be checked off the list, and on to the next thing!
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with everyone here... I wanted to have 85% done by the end of the year but I think my FI would rather wait... which is weird because it's normally the opposite! I have the Venue, Ceremony and Photographer.. with a lot of design ideas going through. Congrats and GL to all of YOU!! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a lot done as well. Venue, catering, dj, bridesmaid dresses. And I'm working on my save the dates already! I know I have until next September, but I really hate last minute stress and I plan on having around, or possibly over, 200 guests. More than half of our guests will be traveling from out of state, so I want to make it super convenient. It works for us, and I would say do what works for you. I'm just worried about signing all these contracts and seeing something I like better later. That's why I'm putting off dress shopping for a while!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Am I Getting Ahead of Myself?:[QUOTE]Agreed book what you want when you decide on something! My FI keeps telling me that I'm going to change my mind a million times before the wedding 9/28/13, but in reality, HE is the one that has been wavering on decisions! In my mind, once something is done, it can be checked off the list, and on to the next thing! Posted by mpickl[/QUOTE]

We totally have the same date!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_am-i-getting-ahead-of-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:1159f3ad-46f0-4544-af26-68c98782d822Post:aaff8bb8-da72-4872-88f8-a5f98d41e138">Am I Getting Ahead of Myself?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I have been getting as much of the wedding planning done as possible. So far we have put the deposit down on the reception hall, caterer, and decorator. I have also ordered my dress, picked colors, and started asking my girls. I am going next week to look at my decorators decorations and in July to look at bridesmaids dresses. Alot of people have told me that I am getting way ahead of myself as I still have 15 months left (9/14/13). What has everyone else done and should I be doing anything else right now?
    Posted by staceymutrup[/QUOTE]

<div>Absolutely not!!  I've got my reception site, ceremony site, florist, dress, and photographer.  I think by planning ahead we are eliminating a lot of stress.  Who wants to be the crammer at the end who is sleep deprived and looks a hot mess??  Not us!  Because we're taking care of things early we'll have time to fine tune everything later.  And that will help our weddings flow smoothly because we've had plenty of time to prepare.  Keep it up girl! </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting on married on 9/7/13 and only have the ceremony site, reception site, and photographer booked. We think we have found our pianist and are have set our first meeting with our pastor. We had our caterer booked as well but they already went out of business (See its good we get things done early!) so we are currently looking for a new one again! Happy wedding planning to all :]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards