Wedding Woes
Options

charity related (soapbox-esque)

a coworker has a second job in a supermarket. she doesn't use coupons, but she gets an employee discount and will buy items on sale to donate to her local food pantry. she put the idea out to her supermarket coworkers to pitch in $5 a month and she'll do the shopping for the pantry. some people said yes, some said no. just as she expected.

one coworker told her she would never give to the pantry, and "those people just need to go get jobs".

now, i know there are people who have their own charities to donate to, and not everyone likes to support the same things. i also know some people get offended when asked to participate in a charity event. (obviously, this was not a charity event, just a person who wanted to see if her coworkers wanted to do what she was doing)

i was just dumbfounded at the reply. i try and give to local food pantries whenever possible. (there's one close to the new place.) a simple "no" would have done the trick.

i guess she didn't see the food network presentation on Hungry in America, which showed a 16 year old who went without meals so his two toddler siblings could eat. those toddlers need jobs!

Re: charity related (soapbox-esque)

• Options
    ::headdesk::

What point is she proving by saying that?  Except for the fact that she's an ass who likes the taste of her own feet. 
  • Options
    Tell Mittens to go sit his ass down and get a burger or go take the horse on a joyride or something
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Good grief people are mean.
  • Options
    I can't respond to this in an unoffensive way, so I'll just say WTF.

• Options
    she should have just said no. 

• Options
    That person is a heartless POS. 

On another note, I was listing to NPR a few days ago and they were talking about the Chicago Teacher's Strike. It broke my heart that even though the schools were closed for instruction, some of them were remaining open to provide meals for students. 
  • Options
    Some people just feel the need to get their opinions heard. That they are grossly misinformed and incredibly rude doesn't occur to them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_charity-related-soapbox-esque?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0f58cd38-425f-471c-91b7-dbae7f62cd94Post:a27e3efa-17a7-4f66-a8a0-fa4fc14bfde1">Re: charity related (soapbox-esque)</a>:
    [QUOTE]That person is a heartless POS.  <em>On another note, I was listing to NPR a few days ago and they were talking about the Chicago Teacher's Strike. It broke my heart that even though the schools were closed for instruction, some of them were remaining open to provide meals for students. </em>
    Posted by mscalibride[/QUOTE]

That's not surprising, but it doesn't make it any less sad.  I hope the strike ends soon because I worry about those kids being home alone all day and if it gets really cold in Chicago (as it can), I wonder if some of them won't have adequate heat. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_charity-related-soapbox-esque?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0f58cd38-425f-471c-91b7-dbae7f62cd94Post:da84cfa0-8cf6-4938-b088-a6fe233ebe81">Re: charity related (soapbox-esque)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: charity related (soapbox-esque) : That's not surprising, but it doesn't make it any less sad.  I hope the strike ends soon because I worry about those kids being home alone all day and if it gets really cold in Chicago (as it can), I wonder if some of them won't have adequate heat. 
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

<div>Ugh, that part is scary.</div><div>
    </div><div>(momentary hijack--we deal w/ this at work, actually.</div><div>Do we stay open in crappy weather and have them drive in?  or do we close and know that people will be home and freeze?  I've heard our admins discuss it and all around, it's not an easy thing to find answers to.  We've cancelled for extreme cold because so many of the folks comng in use public transport and there was real fear someone would die at a bus-stop.)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards