Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ice Cream Sundae Bar?

My FI and I are trying to think of something creative for our dessert besides the usual cake.  We would like to have a small two-tier cake for cutting, but we like the idea of having a sundae bar with a few flavors of ice cream and lots of toppings.  Has anyone else done this, or would anyone have recommendations about how to pull it off?  (Ice cream brands that melt slowly, certain toppings, wat to set it up, etc.)

Re: Ice Cream Sundae Bar?

• bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing this.  I contacted Blue Bell Ice Cream and will be using their gold label banana pudding and vanilla ice cream flavors.  I will be using the 3 gallon tubs, like what you see in an ice cream shop.

It will have it's own set up with all the toppings.  To keep the ice cream from melting, I am using dry ice to keep it cool.

I have the info in my bio if you're interested.  If you pm me, I can tell you more.  Oh and we're doing it ourselves.  The price of having a catering service do this was astronomical. 

Good luck!
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also talk to places like Ben and Jerry's, Coldstone, Marble Slab, Maggie Moos, etc...a lot of them have a deal where they'll come set up an ice cream bar for you.  Not sure of the pricing, since I haven't done this myself.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you rent a soft serve machine & a guy to run it?
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The set up costs are expensive, which is why we're doing it ourselves. But, maybe it's in your budget and the added costs may be worth the headaches.
  • edited December 2011
    you can rent ice tables they are like trays that you fill with ice, and can put the icecream on it, we looked into doing this, and creating a plywood top to put on the table with icecreamtub sized holes on top, so we could set out the rest of our toppings, paint it and add a tulle table skirt. the place we were looking into also rented hot fudge dispensers. check your local board for rental places.
    I would hire someone to run it, even if its self serve, it could get crazy messy very quickly.

• edited December 2011
    I work in a restaurant and we did this for a 90th birthday party. Guests were given a choice of three ice cream flavors (which were purchased from local ice cream shop) and toppings were put out on the tables. The servers passed out the individual ice cream and guests had a choice of caramel, chocolate sauce, pecans and whipped cream.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards