Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Marriage License

Does anyone know how long the waiting period is for getting a marriage license in PA? I know you can do the online application but I remember reading you have to wait 3 days. Just wondering what everyones experience is with this.
Anniversary

Re: Marriage License

• Options

Does anyone know what the purpose of the e-file is?  I'm assuming the advantage is that it allows the clerk not to have to key in the written information which saves some time at the court house.

You're correct - waiting period in PA is 3 days from the day you appear at the Court House, e-file or not e-file. We're planning on filing for ours three-weeks ahead of time.

photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • Options
    There is a 3-day waiting period, and Tthe license is good for 60 days from the time that it is issued.  My husband and I got our license about a month before the wedding.  We went to the courthouse in Lancaster and were seriously in and out of there in a matter of 15 minutes, tops.  You might have to wait a bit for an available clerk, but once you get started it's really not a long process at all.
  • Options
    When you come back after the 3 days, do you both have to pick it up or can I just do it? 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You will walk away from the courthouse with your marriage license in hand.  The 3-day waiting period just means that you have to wait at least 3 days to get married using that license.  You do not need to go back to pick it up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-central_marriage-license-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:107Discussion:2a5ef82a-4dc2-445f-bf64-6b6ada60005fPost:8eecdfb5-69da-4017-96b1-9d91ac4b4a49">Re: Marriage License</a>:
    [QUOTE]You will walk away from the courthouse with your marriage license in hand.  The 3-day waiting period just means that you have to wait at least 3 days to get married using that license.  You do not need to go back to pick it up.
    Posted by cromulentia[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh! I didn't know that! I thought you had to go back and get it after 3 days. Well that helps me alot! My fiance is from Canada and will have to fly down obviously for the wedding and we were trying to think of he'd have to do that and still have time to get the license by that Friday before the wedding. That can loosen things a bit :-) </div><div>Thanks!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards