Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Grooms Cake

How much are you ladies spending on this?  We are going to serve it at the rehearsal dinner so it needs to feed 35-40 people. 

I want it to look like his favorite sandwich from Pittsburgh, so she is going to make it in the shape of the sandwich with a Steelers helmet on top, is $400 too much for this?

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Grooms Cake

• edited December 2011
    My wedding cake was just over $400 and it served 150, so yes, that would be very very expensive for me. But if that is in your budget, go for it. If not, shop around until you find a price you like.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding cake cost $150 and could have seved more than 100 people (we had a lot left over).  Grooms cake was $60.  The baker I used works out of West Chester so I'd say, $400 is way too much.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My groomscake is this:

and to feed 60 people, it costs $90 including delivery
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @hz - I love the cake!!!!

DH loves his MBA alma mater and our baker complied with our request for no fondant on anything.  She pulled of a Sparky mascot that all of the Arizona State grads loved:

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    If your cake decorator can make it look exactly like the sandwhich then the price is ggod(a lot of labor goes into detailed cakes). The groomscake is pretty much the only thing the groom gets to choose all on hos own. If it is in your budget, get it. My FI wants chocolate creme brulee in place of a cake. If it isn't in your budget, then maybe your groom can choose another dessert he fancies.You may want to check with other bakers to see if they can replicate the pic for less.
    Wedding Countdown TickerVisit The Knot!
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ouch - that is way to much! My grooms cake is about 60 for the same amount of ppl
  • edited December 2011
    Ouch, that is a lot of money to spend on a cake, period, let alone a grooms cake (which is smaller) and for the RD. That was about half of what our entire RD cost.

H did not want a groom's cake, so I didn't waste the money on one. Our 3 tier wedding cake was about $300 and we also ordered 1 half sheet cake for an additonal $15.

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_grooms-cake-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:3d793ac4-1cad-480e-97ce-00584198b4c6Post:0f896ed1-e0aa-4620-9498-6c468f1c374b">Re: Grooms Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]@hz - I love the cake!!!! DH loves his MBA alma mater and our baker complied with our request for no fondant on anything.  She pulled of a Sparky mascot that all of the Arizona State grads loved:
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yours is cute too.

We're serving at the RH dinner...FI knows there will be one, but not what it will look like.
  • JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Shop around and see if another baker can do it for less.  If not, then be honest and let your baker know that's a little high and see what they can.  Maybe they can alter a few minor things to help with cost.  If all fails and it's truly something he would find amazing and within budget, go for it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards