May 2011 Weddings

New May 2011 Knottie! & Wedding Party question

Hello everyone!  My fiance and I just got engaged last Saturday and we couldnt be happier!  May 2011 is a pretty tenative time for us thanks to the army, but in order to preserve my sanity, it's what I'm going with!  We could end up as late as May 2012 though... who knows.

Anyway, how early did you choose your Wedding Party?  I'm pretty dead-set on having my cousins as bridesmaids, but I don't want Anthony to choose his groomsmen yet. (I'm not sure his current thought for BM is the right pick. He isn't either, really.)  Do you think it's fine to ask just the bridesmaids right now?

Thanks in advance ladies!  Can't wait to get started planning with you. Smile
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Link to Wedding Blog!
DIY Brides - there are some AMAZING ideas on craftster.org! If you end up over there, look me up: screenname is Haylie. :)

Re: New May 2011 Knottie! & Wedding Party question

• I knew who would be in BP even before I got engaged (and they did, too). I got engaged 5/09 and my wedding is 5/11. I'm going to officially ask my BMs to be in my BP around Feb '10.

I would personally wait and plan other aspects of the wedding before picking out a BP. Some vendors book FAST so the earlier the better I say.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • i have thoughts on my WP now, and I started thinking about it as soon as we were engaged.  However I won't tell them until a year out at the earliest. 

In fact one girl whom I have grown up with had a graduation party 2 days after getting engaged and her friend asked me at the party if said girl was going to be in the WP.  Stunned at the question I stumbled out an 'of course' since I knew I was thinking about having her in the WP and our long time friendship.  However the months since I have been around her a lot more and I have realized how different she has become and how I really don't want her to be up there with me.  I am just praying for a soultion to that one!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I would also advise to wait.  I jumped the gun and asked my BM's first~ then my FI and I had to cut the guest list down so now our WP is 14 people (not including 2 ring bearers and a flower girl) with only 125 guests.  Also~ my FI's friends keep losing their jobs and moving in and out of the state so I have no idea when all is said and done who will actually commit and who won't.  It has been a main source of my wedding-related stress and I feel like I could of avoided it had I been a little more patient. Obviously if you are certain that your relationship with your MOH won't change, then by all means, ask her ~but as far as going any further, I would hold off. 
  • I would reccommend reading the "Wedding Party" board if you are getting antsy about officially asking people.  Lots of people over there regret their choices and lament that they picked too early.  Just food for thought.  I don't want you to be upset in a few months because no one suggested waiting :)
  • I will be waiting until at least 9 months out.  When I got engaged in January I thought I knew exactly who my bridal party would be and now I am not so sure...

So I am waiting to see how the next 8ish months shake out.

I don't want to regret anything
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • I asked my maid of honor the night we got engaged.  She's been my best friend since 1st grade and we always knew we would be each other's maid's of honor.

FI asked his brother to be best man the day after we got engaged.  He was best man in his brother's wedding in August but they waited until about 4 months before the wedding to ask him.  Needless to say FI was really hurt by this and didn't want to do the same thing to him.

As for the rest of the wedding party, I have no idea when we will finalize that.
  • It may be a little soon to began asking your Bridesmaids.  If you have a very strong relationship with your cousins I would ask them, but maybe wait until the 10-12 month mark to ask anyone else.

You FI can wait a while to ask.  Just be honest with him about why you are concerned that it is so far away, etc.  I'm assuming the guys he is thinking of asking aren't relatives, and are more like drinking buddies.  Which I can relate to, FI just let me know his ideas of groomsmen, 10 guys!  And we are having a 100-120 guest list, and some of the guys are not the most reliable, so I'm hoping I can get him to shorten his list to 3-5.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Thanks everyone!  I think I'll officially ask my two maids of honor soon and wait on everyone else.  I'm postitive I'll still choose my cousins, but it's looking like we won't get married until 2012 (either that or we're moving it WAY up to this August! :-O ) so no reason to tell everyone just yet.  :)  Thanks again for all the advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Link to Wedding Blog!
    DIY Brides - there are some AMAZING ideas on craftster.org! If you end up over there, look me up: screenname is Haylie. :)
  • my fiance has already chosen his bm- but since thats his twin brother, its unlikely that would ever change :)

now- i just have to make sure i marry the right one.... ;)
    Married!! 5.7.11
    image image
    my read shelf:
    Jillian's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • It turns out I'm not a May 2011 bride anymore... I'm a August 2010 bride! Surprised  I'll be asking my WP next weekend.  Good luck with your weddings everyone! <3
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Link to Wedding Blog!
  • Yay Haylie! good luck with all the planning :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards