Jewish Weddings
Options

Kibitz Central

Hey gals!

This is the thread where you can post anything -- stream of conciousness.... word association... what the weather is where you live... least favorite family member .... best Brady ... Kedem vs. Mogen David ... your favorite Torah Portion.... Hillel vs. Shammai.... anything goes... we gotta help each other get our post count back to where they were.
Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Kibitz Central

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good call Shoshie!  DH and I are here in Israel--we made Aliyah.  Things are amazing here but very different.  I will be blogging about our trials and tribulations.  Huge exciting news is that we get the keys to our apartment in Tel Aviv tonight--woohoo!  Sad we will miss Thanksgiving this week though :(
  • Options
    MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know the first thing about  Kedem vs. Mogen David  or Hillel vs. Shammai or even what that means. Embarassed

Jason has an interview in Arizona on Friday, which could mean some very big changes in our lives if he is offered and accepts the position.  I am both very excited and anxious about the possibility.  I'm graduating in December and will be a nurse practitioner, so it's a good time for the move.  Plus, I can use FIL's medical connections to network and find a position.

Hope everyone is well.  Happy Thanksgiving.
    Again, thanks, Shoshie for starting this open-ended thread.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    edited December 2011
    Hey gals!

Hillel vs. Shammai debate makes for good <a href="http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/hillel.html" target="_blank">reading</a>.

It also kicks into Chanukah:

[quote]
    <p><font face="Arial"><font color="#000080">The "machloket," or disagreement, between Hillel and Shammai and their respective Academies, Bait Hillel and Bait Shammai, in the matter of the lighting of the Chanukah Menorah, turns on a fundamental question regarding commandments, the performance of which varies with time. </font></font></p> <font face="Arial"> </font><p><font face="Arial"><font color="#000080">According to Shammai, one begins with the "days remaining;" that is, with the "maximum potential" of the commandment. According to Hillel, one begins with the "days completed;" that is, with the "realized potential" of the commandment. Thus, on the first night, before the kindling, there remain eight days, a potential of eight lights, so, according to Shammai and his Academy, the correct number of lights is eight. According to Hillel and his Academy, before the kindling, we say that tonight will be the first night of realized potential for this commandment, so we light one. </font></font></p> <font face="Arial"> </font><p><font face="Arial"><font color="#000080">And so on till the last night, where, according to Shammai, there is only one night remaining, so we light just one light, whereas according to Hillel, this will be the eighth night of realized potential, so we light the full complement of eight.[/quote]</font></font></p>
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_kibitz-central?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:696a1cdd-0fed-4406-bf2d-24e460fd10c9Post:1265b82f-b597-40ba-9b36-ea708c719ea8">Re: Kibitz Central</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jason has an interview in Arizona on Friday, which could mean some very big changes in our lives if he is offered and accepts the position. [/QUOTE]

:fingers crossed:
  • Options
    lachlomlachlom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not officially engaged, but my boy is dropping more and more hints of an engagement coming up...We have already discussed marriage extensively and have unofficially agreed to marry each other, just no ring and no real planning yet... I'm excited. :)

And for what it's worth, the weather is officially crappy again. We had the LONGEST autumn EVER here in jersey, including days without sweaters going outside!! But I woke up and it's icky out, and I'm just counting the days until we're snowed in...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards