Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

When did you do these things??

I never thought that I would get past the one year mark for my wedding.  I have and I cannot believe how fast time flys.  So to keep myself on track when did you do all these things?

Order bridesmaid dresses
Place order for tuxes
Find Baker
Register
Send out STD
Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine)
Start looking into ordering/making invites

My fiance keeps thinking its a year away, and we have tons of time, but then I politely smile and say.. it's only 9 months away!  EEEK!!!! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When did you do these things??

• graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that you are right to want to stay on top of these things. Even if it seems early, you can easily knock some out of the way and then not have to worry about them. Plus, the closer it gets the more hectic things feel. Do what you can when you can, I say.

Order bridesmaid dresses-- we did this 6 months in advance. We picked them out around 9 mo and the girls could order when they wanted up until a certain date. The store we used said 6 months and they really meant it! It took that long to get them and get them altered.

Place order for tuxes-- This doesn't have to be done till pretty close to the wedding. I'd go pick out what you want by the 2 or 3 month mark and ask the retailer how much time they will need for orders.

Find Baker-- We did this quite a bit in advance. I think there was snow on the ground when we went, and our wedding was in July. I'd start researching now and gather pictures of what you like if you have not done so yet. Then have fun going to tastings =) You can ask how much time the bakers need. I think I'd probably have this done before the 3 month mark, but that might just be me.

Register-- You can do this any time. We did it a year in advance and I kept track of stuff online to delete discontinued items and change my mind on stuff. Make sure you have this done by the time you get your invitations out.

Send out STD-- Usually they are done between a year and 9 months or so out. We did ours a year in advance because we had a lot of OOT guests and it was a nontraditional date.

Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine)-- I waited till it was like 2 or 3 months out to decide. You will need this by the time you print your invitations and programs.

Start looking into ordering/making invites-- I made my own. I bought them with coupons at Michaels and printed them a few months before the wedding.
    Photobucket
  • colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Order bridesmaid dresses- About a year out.
    Place order for tuxes - Will be doing 7 months out
    Find Baker - 9 months out
    Register- We plan on registering 6 to 7 months out.
    Send out STD - 7 months ouut
    Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine)- Not sure right now, whenever we meet up with our pastor next.
    Start looking into ordering/making invites- I bought our invites liike 13 months out (I found a great deal) Won't start putting them together until closer to.

And a lot of my timing for things is really early because my FI and I have been away at school. So, whenever we have had a weekend home we have tried to get as many things done as possible.
  • aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Order bridesmaid dresses - 6 months before (we also ordered from a company that had them in within 8 weeks!)
    Place order for tuxes - Figured everything out and had everything for the adult boys in 2 months prior
    Find Baker - 5 months prior
    Register - Almost immediately but that is because everyone was throwing us parties and showers! (we had 3 engagement parties, and 4 showers!)
    Send out STD - 8 months
    Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine) - When I started to feel the pressure. But my photogrpaher helped me out a TON with that!
    Start looking into ordering/making invites - as soon as the save the dates went out!
  • MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's so exciting getting closer to the big day.  I remember having about a 5-6 month lull and before I knew it we were down to 6 months! It's definitely going to pay off in the end to be on top of things. 
    Here's about when we did things for our June 25 wedding.
    Order bridesmaid dresses
    -We went and tried on/picked out BM dresses around Oct or Nov (7-8 months out).  I gave them until mid-march  (3months) to order their dresses. We ordered from David's Bridal, and all of my girls had their dresses arrive in store within 2-3 weeks of ordering.

Place order for tuxes-We went through Heartstrings Bridal in Hopkins, and didn't HAVE to have the measurements until 3 weeks prior to the wedding.  H and all of his groomsmen made it like an event and went and did it together about 6 weeks before the wedding.  However, H and I went in September when we were home for E-pics to pick out the exact style that we wanted.

Find Baker-I booked with out baker in August (10 months out), but I was also planning from out of town and booked several vendors in one visit for convenience.

Register-If I remember correctly, H and I registered just a little bit before X-mas last year, so about 7 months away from the big day.  My first shower was at the beginning of April.

Send out STD-Christmas marked the 6 month mark, so we sent them with our X-mas cards

Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine)-Ceremony time we only had 3 choice per the church-11am, 4pm, or 6pm.  We opted for the 4pm time.  From there we decided to open the reception hall/serve hor d'oeuvres, serve drinks starting at 5 estimating that the ceremony would be 30min long, we'd spend about 10 minutes excusing people by pew, and that it's a 20 minute drive to the reception location.  We planned to have the wedding party arrive at the reception at 6, but it ended up being closer to 6:20.  Dinner service started at about 6:30.

Start looking into ordering/making invites-I had decided on my invitation look pretty early.  I ordered my supplies from cards and pockets in about October or so-I really can't remember-all I know is that they were having their annual sale.  I did a few mock-ups just to make sure I liked how everything looked.  

I officially started assembling invitations mid March, and mailed them out just before postage went up at around the 8 week mark. (note: I printed, hand stamped/embossed, matted, and assembled my invitation myself.  The only thing pre-made that I used was the blank pocket-fold, so it took a good week or two to get everything put together, and addressed with the help of my FI)
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Keep in mind I'm a scheduler as my career so I like to get things done ahead of time and am all about lists and checks...

Order bridesmaid dresses- 6 months ahead of time because it coincided with a sale

Place order for tuxes-3 months out

Find Baker- 9 months

Register-11 months ( we got our first gift at 8 months out!)

Send out STD- 9 months (90% of our guests were OOT so we wanted to make sure they could block their calendars)

Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine)-2 months

Start looking into ordering/making invites-We ordered about 10 months out because I'm obsessed with stationary. Also we got a deal for ordering everything at the same time. The look of our stationary inspired other details about the wedding too, so I personally used that as a starting point. I think other than the venue it was the first thing I did.
  • edited December 2011
    Our timetable was a bit different since we have a short (7 month) engagement.

Order bridesmaid dresses - 5 months out

Place order for tuxes - FI ordered his suit last weekend, so 2 1/2 months out

Find Baker - 5 months out

Register - 5 months out

Send out STD - we didn't do a STD, since 90% of our guest list is local, plus it felt silly to send one so close to the invites

Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception - 5 months out, or when we actually started finalizing the ceremony/reception details with our pastor and reception coordinator

Start looking into ordering/making invites - I didn't DIY, but started browsing websites at 4-5 months out and ordered 3 months out (they just arrived yesterday and look amazing) - highly recommend Wedding Paper Divas!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Order bridesmaid dresses -  8 months
    Place order for tuxes - 6 months, just to get it done with
    Find Baker - 6 months
    Register - 6 months
    Send out STD - 6 months
    Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine) Sometime before you order your invites so you know what information to put on them
    Start looking into ordering/making invites- 5 months

We did a lot of stuff last December, because H was still going to college and it was just easy to get a lot of decision made during his winter break.

Like PPs have said, it's really never too early.  Especially when you're a year out.
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Order bridesmaid dresses - We ordered from DB so the girls were on their honor to order, but they were supposed to have them ordered by mid October so... about 4 months out.

Place order for tuxes - The guys all had to be measured by Dec 7, 4 weeks before the wedding. We picked out the style and stuff over a year out though.

Find Baker: We aren't using a baker, not having a cake.

Register: I think about 7 months out. We were bored. :P

Send out STD: 6 months.

Figure out a start time for ceremony and reception (I have no clue when to start mine): We figured that out probably about 6 months out.

Start looking into ordering/making invites: We bought the invitations about 10 months out because we had some crazy good coupons from Michaels. We didn't print them and get them put together until 3 months out, so a few weeks before we mailed them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards