June 2013 Weddings
Options

save the dates

Hello,

Wedding is June 8, 2013, I have not sent out save the dates bc I dont have all the addresses confirmed on the guests list nor have we got the list down to a reasonable number.  I know they need to go out soon, bc  the wedding will be out of town, I live in PA and the wedding is in NC.  My worry is the guests may already beginning to book vacation for next year.  Ideally I would have liked to send them by the end of the year, but I am hesitant bc I dont want people to mistake them for Christmas cards and not open them bc Christmas cards often get thrown around.  So my question now is... should I just send them the first of January, would that be ok?

Re: save the dates

• Options

Save the dates are typically sent 6 to 9 months prior to your wedding, so you should be okay if you send them right at the beginning of the year. Otherwise, if you get them out in the next two weeks, you'll probably miss the bulk of Christmas card deliveries. If you do wait until the beginning of the year, I would work with you and your fiance's close family to start spreading it around now that the wedding is June 8th, and out of state.

And P.S.- welcome, fellow 'Burgher!!

• Options
    I'm also a June 8th Bride... Welcome. 

I would send them out NOW!!! or at least mail them by Dec 5th or 6th for a Dec 8th arrival date, which would be exactly 6 months, but no later than this. You could make a custom stamp to us on the outer envelope that says something like; "Not a Holiday Card, Please Open ASAP" 

Or you could choose an online graphic to download and personalize to send your Save the Dates via email. This is what I did, back in October (at the 8 month mark). It works just as well and gets the word out instantly. 

In your case, with either option, I would start calling immediate family members and spreading the word via word of mouth. This way it will be a popular topic over the holidays among the families. And make sure you let your friends know now too, because many people will be making plans for next summer soon, if not already.  

Basically, you need to get the info out as soon as you can. Don't panic, but don't drag your feet any longer either. Get this done!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Here is the website I used to create my online graphic Save the Date. There are several different designs to choose from. This site is easy to use and produces instant personalized proofs. I think they are meant to be printed out, but I just saved the image of the proof that I created and pasted it into my email window to send and it worked perfectly. 

http://www.weddingchicks.com/freebies/save-the-dates/

I HIGHLY recommend this option. 

Also, the only reason Save the Dates should be a priority for you is because your wedding is out of state and many (or all) of your guests will need to travel. If this wasn't the case, then you could have skipped them all together. So, get them out soon girlie! 

*Keep in mind, everyone who receives a Save the Date must receive an invitation. So finalize your guest list before releasing the Save the Dates. 

**And make sure you have your invitations are in the mail at the 8 week mark; April 13th!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I would try to send them as soon as you can. Im also a June 8th bride and we sent ours out like a week or so ago. Maybe send the ones you have the addresses for now and send the rest when you have the rest of the addresses. I didnt send all of mine at once so I think youll be ok. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting married the same day, and our family is telling us that we should be getting them out.  Our guests are also mostly out of state.  I have a friend getting married in June 2013, and I've had her StD for months already.  I don't think that we are LATE, but we should probably get moving, for the reasons that you have stated.  I don't think that you need to wait for a special day, like Jan 1.  Just send em!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards