Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Invitation? how to write the year

My family and I are debating how to write the year.  Should it be Two Thousand Ten or Two Thousand and Ten.  I found this on crane's ettiquette page but it doesn't really say what's right. 

Isn't it incorrect to use "and," as in "Two thousand and one"? In mathematics "and" denotes a decimal point, and since there’s no decimal point in the year "2001," it may seem incorrect to use "and." Wedding invitations, however, are not mathematical equations, so the use of "and" as a decimal point is irrelevant. On wedding invitations, "and" is used simply as a connective word.

Re: Invitation? how to write the year

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a math teacher :)  "and" - at least in the US - signifies a decimal point, so leaving the "and" out is grammatically correct.  However - back up on this maybe, NCV? in other countries grammatical rules can differ. (For example, comma rules vary somewhat between the US and the UK.) I believe that the "and" is one of these things.  Many examples of invitation wording I have found use "and", actually.

My opinion?  Use whatever looks better to you, whether it's grammatically correct or not. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine say "and."  I based it off the sample invite I was shown but I've seen them done both ways.  I consider myself pretty anal retentive but this one doesn't bother me however it's written.  And I know no one is going to what the "proper" ettiquette is anyway.    
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used 2010. And between not receving responses, getting text respness and a phone call response - I'm glad I didnt spend a ton of time on the little things of hte invite.

ps-  im crabby today.l
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to take a grammer and spelling test in a few weeks and I'm crapping my pants, so yes it's different.  

Anyway they say numbers weird here.  
    Like bus routes 486 they say four eight six instead of four eightly six.
    Money they say 2 pounds 50 for 2.50.

I haven't noticed with the year though.

I agree with LRM, go with the one you like better.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not helpful at all in saying this but do you need to include the year?  I didn't on mine.  People knew it was 2009, not some invitation for our wedding like 6 years from now.
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you serious?  Does it really matter whether you use the word "and"? Do you think anybody is going to show up in the wrong year because you did it right or wrong?

As long as you use ten and not eleven I think you're good to go.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was told not to use "and" by the invitation place.  They checked in the Crane & Co. etiquette book they have to verify.

They also said to make sure it's written "Two thousand ten"- only the Two gets capitalized.

If you are big on etiquette, then there is your answer.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Most of the invitation examples I saw online and in catalogues say "Two thousand and ten," so I went with that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards