June 2013 Weddings

Not Planning Yet?!

Hello! So we just got engaged on Christmas Eve (total shock - he was always the type to say "I'm never getting married, etc).
I'm not going crazy with planning just yet but I want to at least set a freaking date!! I'm thinking June 2013 so I can really start diving into planning this spring/summer but he wants to hear nothing about it. WTF?? Anyone else??

Re: Not Planning Yet?!

• first of all CONGRATS!! :)

im still kinda new at this too but what i am hearing is that if you want to guarentee june 2013 because it is so popular you need to start soon...for the venue and the ni think u can chill out a bit
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Klyn1983Klyn1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! Just like Nay said, pick a date and secure a venue before you start any other planning. The location will completely change every other detail. If your FI is dragging his feet a little bit, have him call around to see on available dates. I did that with mine and as soon as he realized places were fully booked almost 2 years in advance, he sat down on his own and looked up venues. (and then a week later we put down a deposit and set the date!)

Also, from what you said in your post, I get the vibe that he didn't really want to get married. Maybe that has something to do with his resistance? -please don't take that the wrong way. Just saying that perhaps he needs a few days to let it sink in. 

Edited to clarify.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • congrats! I got engaged in august and FI and I both agreed we needed some time for it to sink in and enjoy being engaged for a little bit because once you start planning, you really dont stop. We enjoyed it for 2 months, and then started to look at venues. I was absolutely shocked how quickly venues book up. Our venue was booked solid for June 2013- we got the last Saturday...and that was back in October. To be completely honest, if you wait until spring or summer to book a venue, you will probably not have much selection, June is one of the most popular wedding months. I would try to get your FI to go look at venues ASAP, and everything else can wait a little while.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congratulations! DEFINITELY start looking at Venues, especially after the holidays many,more rings will be popping up and places will be booked solid! As for First, maybe sit him down and ask him what he's thinking and what he wants to happen. It will be difficult if you aren't on the same page with the planning.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • To echo what everyone else says, if you wait until spring or summer, we likely won't get to see you on this board :-(

I booked june back in August, why?  because the dates we could do in May (Im in school so it took out like two of those weekends) were already booked, so we just took the next available date and that was June 8.  And that was 4 months ago.

Either be flexible with your date, or not picky with venues if you want to wait, I just don't suggest it.  The benefit of having 1.5 years is hopefully you will get to pick and choose your venue.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I booked my venue in November and they were already booked for most of June. I'd definitely recommend you start looking at venues if you want a June wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MeghannsixMeghannsix member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI was the same way, I thought we'd go on "dating" forever!  Definitely start a bit of research on venues.  There are five saturdays in June 2013, and when we booked our venue, three of the other Saturdays were already taken!  If definitely made my FI and my mom (who swore we had plenty of time) stand up and take notice.  It doesn't hurt to start looking around, you'll be able to tell pretty early on what's booking up quick.  Congrats and happy planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards