California-Orange County
Options

IPOD DJ

Has anyone ever been to a wedding that doesn't have a DJ/MC? I just found out about iPod weddings where the bride and groom just make a playlist to play at the reception. Is anyone doing this? My fiance mentioned he doesn't want a cheesy dj and wants to choose the music ourselves to play. It sounds like it would be fine since our reception is outdoor/casual. But I am sort of hesitant about how it would work. Anyone have experience with this? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this!

Re: IPOD DJ

• Options
    kaochoakaochoa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend got married in April in her mothers backyard. She rented a PA system from her rental place and used an ipod for her music. She had her brother act as "DJ". I worked out well. The only problem was that it took to long to get into the fast music and no one was dancing when we went home.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did this and it worked decently.  Ours was an afternoon wedding in May - simple and casual.  As such, people didn't really get into dancing, and I think when you have a DJ that somehow motivates people to dance because it's a little more expected of them.  It also could have been a factor of it being afternoon; I think people might be more likely to dance at an evening wedding.  However, the PA system worked great for speeches and music for our special dances.  We got what we wanted out of it - dancing wasn't a high priority for us, so I'm glad we saved the money and ran things ourselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our own music set up and it was great. I'm glad we didn't hire a DJ. I recommend: using a laptop loaded with iTunes (or similar) rather than an iPod for flexibility, borrowing some decent speakers and perhaps a mixer, and asking a couple friends to watch over the whole set up during the reception to make sure the volume levels are okay.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding with an IPOD dj as well.  The music was perfect for dinner, and the time between the ceremony and dinner.  But it is absoultely terrible for dancing.  If you want people to dance at a wedding, I think it's best to get a live DJ.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards