Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Out of Town Cakes

I'm living about 60 miles from where my wedding will be. What would be better: A) choosing a bakery close to where I live and see if they will deliver that far? or B) choose a bakery close to the wedding location?

I ask because I'm a graduate student who also works. My FI also works 2 jobs. If we go with a bakery that is close to the wedding location we would literally have to make a mini vacation out of a cake tasting. It would be worth it if we set up multiple tastings in the same weekend, but still it seems like a big commitment just to pick a cake. I feel like we could test out more bakeries if we go with something close to home, but is it extreme to think someone would deliver that far away?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Out of Town Cakes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's fine to call local bakeries to see if they will deliver, but I don't think it's a big deal to choose a bakery close to the wedding location.  Our wedding location was about 105 miles from our home at the time, and we were down there a couple of times for planning--to talk about the menu and flowers, to drop things off, to meet with our officiant--so I think you could make very good use of a long weekend spent at your wedding location, including doing cake tastings.  

You could see if people on your local board have recommendations for bakeries, so you spend your time well when you do the tastings.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with the local bakery. The long-distance delivery for a bakery where you live will probably cost more than just making a day of it to go to tastings 60 miles away. Just try to coordinate the tasting with other wedding related errands to make the drive worth it.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with a bakery in the town you're getting married.  Delivery charges can get really expensive and if you're having anything more than two tiers it can get difficult to drive with.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_out-of-town-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:3bdc7d1d-08ac-4b76-b59c-312aafc630bePost:d3051501-b8d9-4f50-bd15-5c09ce7bcb17">Re: Out of Town Cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd go with the local bakery. The long-distance delivery for a bakery where you live will probably cost more than just making a day of it to go to tastings 60 miles away. Just try to coordinate the tasting with other wedding related errands to make the drive worth it.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

This
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards