Wedding Woes

Receiving Line

Must I have a receiving line? Every wedding I have gone to, there has been one. I, on the other hand, do not feel that it is necessary. One reason being that everyone attending the wedding, we see all the time (since it is all family). Another reason I don't wish to have a receiving line is because our photo shoot is scheduled for between the ceremony and the reception. I would like to have as much time for the shoot as possible, and leave people waiting less long. Also, I'm a bit of a germ phobe and hate the idea of shaking 100 people's hands...

Re: Receiving Line

• edited December 2011
    I think they are a complete waste of time and so akward.  I don't want 200 people touching me especially the ones I don't know.  And I always feel so stupid waiting in line for one, I thought that my guests would appreciate them not having to stand in a line to say hi.  Let it be the job of you and your FI to say hi to everyone on your own.  Let your guests go in and mingle and start the party while you finish up photos. 
    Anniversary Vacation
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think its necessary at all to have a receiving line, as long as you two mingle and  meet everyone and its easier too instead of just standing in one place for god knows how long to greet everyone. 
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had a receving line and went through 300 people in about a half hour.  i still had time for table visits, too.

not everyone will want to do the receiving line, and some people actually just said "hello" and kept moving.

i did the photos before the wedding.  we weren't rushed at all and no one was kept waiting -- after the ceremony or after the reception.
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im going to do it as people leave the church.  You should say hello to everyone and thank them for coming.  Having the line insures that everyone had the opportunity

Some people will get offended if you dont do it.  I have been to a wedding with no recieving line and the bride and groom didnt bother saying hello either.  I thought it was extremely rude.  Whatever you do, just make sure you get to everyone at some point.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think you have to have a receiving line I do think you should make sure to stop by each table and thank your guests for coming.
  • Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    A receiving line is certainly not a requirement.  I think most ptople find them awkward and time consuming, and I truthfully haven't seen one in 20 years.  As long as you greet all your guests and thank them for coming at some point during the day, everything's fine.

Congratulations.  Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    Oh good....after seeing people's posts I feel better.  I am a germiphobe also and my pictures are between ceremony and reception.  I was worried about time also and I think it is pointless to have a receiving line because we plan on going to every table during reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married on the beach in the early evening and having pictures taken in between our wedding and reception also. Our wedding will be immediate family and our closest friends only so we'll hug and kiss and they can take off to the reception while we do pics. I'm glad there are other couples that are skipping the recieving line. We definitely plan to visit with all of our guests during the wedding, so I think it will work just fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards