Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridemaid dresses, is this crazy?

So my wedding party is 5 girls that range from size 6's to size 20. So I am letting them wear any style of dress they feel comfortable in as long as they are all short and the same fuschia color (I have 2 maid of honors who will also have a orange sash to stand out) and when i tell them they dont have to pick the same dress and be all matchy matchy they look at me like im nuts lol

Re: Bridemaid dresses, is this crazy?

• Options
    My 3 girls are all sizes 6 to 8 but I still told them they will get to pick their own style of gown...I think that's a good way to make sure everyone is comfortable with what they are in.  Good way to keep the "my bridesmaid dress was so ugly" out of future conversations.  ;)
  • Options
    Wow so its not just me and my girls lol. I get that a lot to my one BM wants me to just pick a dress but a dress on a size 4 girl may not look that great on a size 20 girl
  • Options
    It's not nuts at all. You're being very lax about it and letting the girls be comfortable while still trying to match. I did this.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I'm doing this as well.  My girls were actually thrilled to do this, though, especially since both of them got married last year, and had a brutal time finding a dress to fit everyone the same, and look great.  Stand your ground and leave the option open to them, but if they decide on the same dress, I wouldn't worrya bout it.
  • Options
    Yea, I've heard about this happening.  Lots of BM just assume that they will all be wearing the same dress that you picked.  I would talk to them and ask them which they would prefer: you picking one dress or having them all pick their own.  If they actually want you to pick out their one dress, go for it.  Still include them in the process though. 
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You're not crazy!  I'm doing the same thing!  I have 5 bridesmaids, all different shapes and heights, and I want them all to look good and be comfortable.  I sent them 6 different styles by the same designer to look at, but as long as they all get the same designer, color, and length, I don't care what they choose!  At least they'll get their money's worth by getting something they may be able to wear again!
  • Options
    My sister did the same for her wedding. She had 3 bridesmaids and we all have different body types (I'm short and curvy, 1 BM was tall and thin, and the other was 9 months pg). My sister gave us the designer and color and we each picked the dress that we were most comfortable in.
    I am only having a MOH so I am only going to pick the color. She will be picking the designer and style herself.
    I don't think you're nuts at all. I think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    I actually had this problem as well (the different sized BM's).  The problem was, unless I went to David's Bridal, they couldn't try on any sample dresses.  Two girls were too big and two girls were too small.  We couldn't tell what it would look like.  I found a dress that I liked and thought would work for all of them.  I showed them the dress, they all loved it and we ordered them.  They all looked great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I tried to do this with my MoH, but she hated the idea and is making me go shopping with her anyway! I agree, it's probably a good idea to give them the freedom so that they feel comfortable.  BUT for those who are afraid they'll ruin your entire wedding by making a decision without you, suggest a store or a style or send them a few pictures just so that they know what look you're going for, especially if you can't go shopping with all of them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards