Missouri-Kansas City

Parents paying-Starting to feel guilty

My parents are paying for our wedding. They have given me a budget but always say "whatever you want". The way I'm going, we're going to spend all of the budgeted money and I'm starting to feel guilty, like we should scale back on some things and stay well under budget. Is it worth spending this much money for 1 day? Anyone else feel this way?

Re: Parents paying-Starting to feel guilty

• edited December 2011
    We are paying for our own wedding, but my suggestion would be that if you're concerned about it starting thinging of it as your hard earned money. If it was comming out of your pay check would you spend X amount of money for that item or service? Maybe list 5 things you will splurge on and 5 things you can save big on like printing your own invites or something... the little saves will add up!
  • edited December 2011
    We are also paying for our own wedding, and we have decided that some things are worth it (in our minds of course), while others are not.  If your parents are truly happy and can afford to pay for the budget you're working with, there is no real reason to feel guilty about it.  Grateful, absolutely.  But not guilty.  They offered.  If something in partidular doesn't seem like it's worth it, just cut that part out.  Otherwise, enjoy this time and make sure you give your parents the thanks they deserve.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree. Decide whats really important to you and splurge on it, and find diy ways to do some of the other things. Sometimes DIY can be more beautiful than spending a lot of money to have something premade.
  • edited December 2011

Aside from all the do-it-yourself stuff and finding deals etc. etc., I think the only thing you need to keep in the back of your mind is that if they are paying for it, that means that they should definitely have a say in it. And, if your mom/dad still says "whatever you want", make sure they're making some decisions. Also, you can always pay them back when you can! If you are planning on paying them back, I think you shouldn't feel guilty at all. And even if you aren't, they set a budget knowing that you might (and most likely will) use all of it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everybody! I am feeling much better about the whole situation. I am certainly grateful for their genoristy, and I will definately find a way to thank them in a special way. I will just do everything I can do stay as much under budget as possible. Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011

I agree with the PP, my parents gave me a budget but they don't live in KC so it is kind of hard to have them give me their input.  I ask for their option before I book anything and to help with the cost, we are paying for somethings ourselves and doing a couple of DIY projects.  I wouldn't feel guilty they probably are happy they can do this for you or at least that is what my mom and dad tell me which makes me feel better.  I also always did a list of the things we wanted to splurge on and the things we could cut back on.  That helped us a lot. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards