Favors

Charitable Donation as Favors?

I would like to donatae a lump sum of money to a charity, say $250-$300, and give that to my guests as their favor.  I would place a card at their seat telling them that a donation has been made in their name to such and such charity, I was thinking an animal shelter becuase that is really close to my heart.

I am afraid that some people would think that this is not appropriate becuase they are not actually receiving something physical.  However, each time I have been to a wedding and I received a shot glass or something, I appriciated the gesture but I rarely used them aftwards.  This idea that I have would actually be used.

What do you all think, is it okay to do this or not?
"You gotta love livin' baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass!" - Frank Sinatra

Re: Charitable Donation as Favors?

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:841a6a36-671f-4a2a-a551-56f0978d36baPost:2b570b56-d627-4b49-98d7-e9fb7dc76a9b">Charitable Donation as Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to donatae a lump sum of money to a charity, say $250-$300, and give that to my guests as their favor.  I would place a card at their seat telling them that a donation has been made in their name to such and such charity, I was thinking an animal shelter becuase that is really close to my heart. I am afraid that some people would think that this is not appropriate becuase they are not actually receiving something physical.  However, each time I have been to a wedding and I received a shot glass or something, I appriciated the gesture but I rarely used them aftwards.  This idea that I have would actually be used. What do you all think, is it okay to do this or not?
    Posted by easton87[/QUOTE]

::headdesk::

Read the Sticky at the top of this page Titled "Thinking of Using a Donation in lieu of Favors? Read this First."  The vast majority of people on TK (and by vast I mean more than 90% from what I've seen) agree with Trix's assessment of the situation.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As the PP said, please read the sticky at the top of the page.

Also, please, please don't say you are making a donation in your guests name. It's lying to your guests, unless you are planning  to make individual donations in the name of each guest. 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Favors are completely optional.  Never tell someone what they're NOT getting. 

Make the donation if you want but it should have nothing to do with your wedding.  Don't use money from the budget of something that you had designated for your guests (food, alcohol, favors, etc), Your guests should not hav to do without something in the name of charity.  Instead take the money from YOUR daily budget.  Giving to charity is a lot more rewarding when you give up haircuts, new clothes, or some other item that you can live without.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:841a6a36-671f-4a2a-a551-56f0978d36baPost:2b570b56-d627-4b49-98d7-e9fb7dc76a9b">Charitable Donation as Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to donatae a lump sum of money to a charity, say $250-$300, and give that to my guests as their favor.  I would place a card at their seat telling them that a donation has been made in their name to such and such charity, I was thinking an animal shelter becuase that is<strong> really close to my heart.</strong> I am afraid that some people would think that this is not appropriate becuase they are not actually receiving something physical.  However, each time I have been to a wedding and I received a shot glass or something, I appriciated the gesture but I rarely used them aftwards.  This idea that I have would actually be used. What do you all think, is it okay to do this or not?
    Posted by easton87[/QUOTE]

So your idea of a gift to your guests is something that's really special to you?  Read the sticky at the top of this board.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with all PP.  Favors are optional, but if you want to have something that guests will take with them and appreciate then go the edible route.  If you're going to do a donation then that's wonderful, but please don't make signs or post it at your wedding.  Maybe we as brides are more critical about this kind of stuff but I'd rather stay on the safe side.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just in case you won't read the sticky, or the countless other times this question has been asked on this board, here's my answer:

This question comes up a lot.  So here's the answer than I give to a question that comes up a lot.

Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

Think of it this way:  Your neighbor comes over to your house and says “I’m going to do you a favor and shovel the snow from your driveway.”  That’s a favor to you.  But if your neighbor comes over and says “I’m going to do you a favor.  I’m going to shovel my elderly father’s driveway”, you’d be thinking “how is that a favor for me?”

Because it’s not.  It’s a favor, yes.  But not for you.  And what would you think if your neighbor to come to your house and said “Wow!  I’m a terrific person.  I just went and shoveled my elderly father’s driveway! I told him I did it your honor.  Aren’t I something?”   That’s pretty much how telling your guests that you’ve made a donation “for them” is going to come across.

Bottom line, IMO: charity donations are not favors.  Make your donation.  That's a wonderful thing.  But why do you have to announce to your guests that you've made a donation? 

I think it's inappropriate to donate anything "in your guests' names".  Let them make donations to charities that are important to them.  You make donations to charities that are important to you.

Just leave your wedding out of it.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    edited December 2011
    A favor is a gift that one gives to a guest to say thank you for coming, I appreciate you. While some favors are not something to get excited over, they are gifts. It isn't a gift for a guest to give someone else money, even if it is a wonderful cause. While charities are great, giving money to them doesn't have anything to do with weddings and doesn't quite thank your guests in the same way that even a cheap shot glass would. Favors are not required, but I would rather give my guests something to show that I appreciate them than to say "here is some money that I earmarked for you but gave to someone else". 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    What if you got a little animal to go with the cards? So there is something tangible too? My friend did this, they donated to buy school supplies and gave personalized pencils. I"m not completely against charitable donations.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_charitable-donation-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:841a6a36-671f-4a2a-a551-56f0978d36baPost:617f8c9b-6439-4c87-b3a8-6cee44af99f1">Re: Charitable Donation as Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if you got a little animal to go with the cards? So there is something tangible too? My friend did this, they donated to buy school supplies and gave personalized pencils. I"m not completely against charitable donations.
    Posted by heatherreineke[/QUOTE]

So you'd be giving your guests a favor to tell them you're not giving them a favor?  That makes a lot of sense.  Just give them the animal.  Or the pencils.  But why mention the donation?  Especially if you're already giving them something.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I are making a donation to Special Olympics because of our personal connection to the org... we're going to have a basket with Special Olympics pens that we are purchasing for guests to take... 
    "I once held a live hummingbird in my hand. I once married a Bryn Mawr girl. To a large extent they are twin experiences" -E.B White
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards