Delaware

So upset over Curtis Center Arboreum and Cescaphe Ballroom

Yes I am going to sound like a crybaby...but I am so bummed.  I posted in Philly for any ideas too.

I fell in love with the Arboreum at the Curtis Center when I saw it online last week but had figured it was out of our budget.  It has the characteristics that we have been wanting but haven't found during our 6 month venue search.  I called and crossed my fingers over the price.  Imagine my joy when it was exactly within budget!
And then it happened!  It's already booked for Saturday, June 25, 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!  (And so is the Cescaphe Ballroom, I had to ask)

I am SO upset!  Our date is set in stone because he proposed to me on June 25, 2009 after 7 years of dating.  I really hope the person that booked it enjoys the venue and it was not just an "ok we might as well" place for them.  I don't know what to do...

I have looked at so many places in DE, NJ, and PA but nothing clicked with us (and within our budget).  UGG   I think my only option is to find a new place but am open to ideas...

Re: So upset over Curtis Center Arboreum and Cescaphe Ballroom

• Spring2009Spring2009 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say, change the date... but the venue to me, is the most important. So, you need to weigh your options and then make a decision. You are probably going to compare every venue you visit now to those 2. If you find yourself doing that, maybe it might be best to change the date.

Also, did you check the Ballroom at the Ben? We were just to a wedding there and it was really nice. Not sure what your budget is, but it is another beautiful venue in the city.
  • Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Do you mean the atrium? I had to search it out bc you seem real upset over it and all I came up with was The Atrium at the Curtis Center.

I understand that the 2 yr proposal anniversary is important to you  but I didnt have that option bc FH proposed on my bday and I wasnt getting married on my bday so I chose a day in the same month just bc I wanted to keep the dates close. Why don't you go with another saturday in June? It'll still be around the same time.
    Now if your dating anniversary is your proposal anniversay then I can totally see you wanting to keep that date set in stone and I am sure you'll find the perfect place...you may just have to settle a little.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to have say, I am with Spring on this one.  My philosophy behind this may not jive with what you think, and that's fine (we all have our opinions!), but here it is anyway...

I know there are girls on this board, and others, that are all about getting married on your proposal day, or your dating anniversary, etc.  I personally think it's rediculous.  Why?  Because after 30, 50, 60+ years of marriage, you aren't going to remember those dates.  The only one that will matter, and will continue to matter, is your wedding anniversary- why should it come second to another date or anniversary, as it's one of the most important in your lifetime (I hope that makes sense).  And even then (as my grandmother, who was married for 60+ years, told me), that date starts to fall behind in favor of your kids' birthdays and such.  I also am not a fan of doing it close to birthdays, as I am not one to have a major, every year celebration overshadowed by another.  That's the reason we are getting married in Oct; my birthday is in April, FI's in May, and he refused to have birthdays overshadowed.

I understand it seems important now, I really do.  But think about the long run.  Will it really matter?  Is your venue important to you?  If you can't find anything that suits your taste besides those two, you need to pick which is more important to you, and stick to it.  Decide, and have that be it- no what ifs, etc.  If you think, though, that the venue is that important and you will question yourself, then you need to think long and hard about many, many years down the line.

I know that's harsh, and I am sorry if it came across terribly- I don't mean it that way.  I just want you to sit, think, and TALK WITH FI (the most important!) about what really matters in the long run.  Good luck on your decision!
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a dingdong----It is the ATRIUM.  I was upset and didn't even realize that I wrote Arboruem.  Thanks for the advice.  The Fiance is totally leaving it up to me.  He doesn't care if we change the date, or have the reception a month after the wedding, or a different venue.  That can be alittle frustrating but I love him and it could be much worse :)

Thanks for the thoughts.  No worries about harshness-I can take it
  • edited December 2011
    What about having it on Sunday the 26th?  I had my wedding on a Sunday, and it's usually cheaper, and it will still be near your proposal date. 
  • edited December 2011
    totally a ditto to pp. Britt said exactly what i would say ( shesh Brit, way to read my mind! ) and she's right. your Wedding annivery will slowly overshadow any other dates as the years go on. Also lura's idea about sunday is a great one, if you wanna try to keep it maybe on the same weekend.  Its your choice but imho, i'd go ahead and change the date if you love the venue that much. Go for it Girl!!
  • redreviving6redreviving6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So wait...is it the Atrium or the Aboretum?  I saw both!

Anyway, do what is important to you...if the date is important to you then find another venue, who cares what anyone else thinks.  I personally think in the long run, I'd remember my date and not the venue.

I am getting married at the Eden Resort Courtyard in Lancaster,PA.  It has that "atrium" type feel so check it out and the prices are VERY reasonable. 

And hey, if nothing else works and you don't mind, then change your date and hope the Curtis place is still available!

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards