South Carolina

Summer Wedding - Too Darn Hot?

Hi Ladies,

I generally hang out on the Charleston board, but I'm thinking of weather here, so all of South Carolina probably has a pretty good bar to measure by on this.

Currently, we are planning for a July 2014 wedding, but be honest, is it just going to be TOO HOT? I'm thinking not if we have an indoor venue, but most of the charm of Charleston is outdoor venues... any thoughts?

Re: Summer Wedding - Too Darn Hot?

• I live in the Upstate area (so not quite as bad as Charleston, but pretty close) and had an outdoor wedding this past Sept 22nd. It was hot as balls outside. If you're going to do inside, I'd say it would be fine, but outdoor, I'd do the end of Sept or Oct months. Or try for springtime (but it can be pretty rainy randomly). Hope I helped! =)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina_summer-wedding-too-darn-hot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:123Discussion:73d7849f-c5b4-4c40-bde3-7ee6b0bff092Post:5a638429-cc81-4513-9d86-c7f738bea91b">Re: Summer Wedding - Too Darn Hot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in the Upstate area (so not quite as bad as Charleston, but pretty close) and had an outdoor wedding this past Sept 22nd. It was hot as balls outside. If you're going to do inside, I'd say it would be fine, but outdoor, I'd do the end of Sept or Oct months. Or try for springtime (but it can be pretty rainy randomly). Hope I helped! =)
    Posted by morenachica110[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahaha! Yes, thank you for being honest! If anything I think I will try to move to February or March - let's see if I can do any convincing. :)</div>
  • I would move it to February or March as well.  I'm in the upstate and we're having a May 25th wedding.  It'll be warm, no doubt, but not too hot by that point.  One of my coworkers had an outdoor wedding this past June, and it was almost 100 degrees.  She was miserable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I lived in charleston for about 10 years, July can be totally brutal and humid and muggy. Could get lucky though ;) What area are you wanting, on a plantation or downtown or beach? The summer also has those pop-up thunderstorms almost daily, they blow up and pour down and something to keep in mind ;) Good luck! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina_summer-wedding-too-darn-hot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:123Discussion:73d7849f-c5b4-4c40-bde3-7ee6b0bff092Post:2ae7d0a9-5d87-41cc-aa19-0a0906ff72a7">Re: Summer Wedding - Too Darn Hot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I lived in charleston for about 10 years, July can be totally brutal and humid and muggy. Could get lucky though ;) What area are you wanting, on a plantation or downtown or beach? The summer also has those pop-up thunderstorms almost daily, they blow up and pour down and something to keep in mind ;) Good luck! :)
    Posted by pomundson0[/QUOTE]

I mean, I'm from Miami, I know ALL about heat! (and rain!) ....doesn't mean I like it, though. :)

I've pretty much narrowed venues down to indoors with an outdoor area, downtown. FH really loves the historic side of downtown, but I sort of love the outdoor plantation idea, which is what is causing me to question. No beach, not really our style.

The biggest issue is that I think he's sort of attached to the July 4th date, as am I.

Thanks!
  • I had an outdoor June wedding in Charleston and the weather was nice. It wasn't too hot! Many of our guests kept saying how lucky we were to have such nice weather for an outdoor June wedding.

The weekend after our wedding was brutal with heat advisories ALL week long.
  • My daughter got married in Charleston the first week of August. Both the ceremoney and reception were outdoors. We tented the space due to the threat of rain (it did briefly) and had misting fans from All-Mist. The fans really helped alot with the heat. The programs for the ceremony were fans and we had small bottles of water for the guests while they waited for the ceremony to begin. At the reception we had popsicles from King of Pops!!
    So yes...it is hot...but if you have your heart set on Charleston in July it can be done. No one complained about the heat...and when you're dancing and having fun nobody will care!!
    Good luck!
  • I am in the process of planning a July wedding in Charleston for this year. We are planning to be married on Sullivan's Island around low tide (5:30) and a reception in downtown Charleston. We are planning on it being very warm and will do some buckets (think old rustic) with water at the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards