Just Engaged and Proposals

Hello, there! Engaged about a month here!

Hi, I'm Emily, and I'm pretty new to The Knot, so I thought this might be a good place to start. :)

My fiance proposed about a month ago. The whole event was well-attended by the the police, the Zodiac Killer, the saints and that guy who had a really hard time parallel-parking his car on the streets of Chicago. After all that, I said yes.

I guess I should explain.

At first, I couldn't understand why he was so insistent about going on a date to see a crappy Michael Cera movie at the dollar theater. Although, "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" turned out to be pretty good. And the sushi restaurant afterward was really, really good. But when he suggested afterward that we go for a walk... down by Lake Michigan... and have dessert... Then I knew what was going on. He was recreating our first two dates (Two years ago, the crappy Michael Cera movie was "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist"). He was about to propose.

And then I got nervous.

It's a long drive from our neighborhood to the lakeshore, and closer we got, the more nervous I got. Another car pulled in behind us when we stopped at the park. No one got out, and we couldn't see who was inside. Which made me not just nervous, but completely freaked out.

"I think it's the Zodiac Killer," I said.

"I think it's the police," he said.

To make a long story short, I made him go talk to the Zodiac Killer, who turned out to be the police after all and who kicked us out of the park, which was closing. Which meant we had to think of another scenic locale for our, uh... "picnic."

We ended up at St. Hedwig Catholic Church, which we walk past a lot in our neighborhood. And within seconds of setting up our picnic beneath the statue of St. Hedwig, my fiance dug the ring out of his backpack and asked me to marry him. No long speech. No one knee (he forgot). After all that, the proposal itself was very laid-back. Very natural. Just like us (when I'm not convinced the Zodiac Killer is after us).

After all that, I said yes.

Now you know me. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing all your stories (and asking LOTS of questions) here on The Knot! Congratulations, all!

Re: Hello, there! Engaged about a month here!

• Congratulations to you!!!!!
    I've been here awhile, my wedding is only about 4 months away now, feel free to private message me with any questions.
    My fiance also did a reinactment when he proposed and there was no one knee either although it wasnt as eventful as yours... We started dating when we were 14 and had our first hook-up in a park by my parents house.  Almost 7 years later and after almost 3years of living together i thought he was never going to ask me until one night we were laying in bed and he leaned over and whispered will you marry me in my ear, he didnt even have a ring because he even surprised himself with the timing.  we picked out the ring together and sent it out to get sized. a few weeks later he took me back to that park and proposed the traditional way surprising me with the resized ring.  Enjoy all that is to come!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Congratulations!  What an awesome story you'll never forget, LOL
  • Thanks, everybody. :)
  • Congrats...love the story!  And welcome.
    Anniversary
  • So cute!!  Welcome!!

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards