Honeymoon Discussions

European Honeymoon

We're planning a honeymoon in Paris, Brussels, and a variety of cities in Germany.  I've been to Paris once, several years ago, and FI was stationed in Germany for a little while (did not visit France) but neither of us have been to Belgium before.  Any suggestions for any of the locations? 

We're really not into museums.  We will skip the Louvre and others - the only one we might consider is the Muse de Orsay.  Aside from that, I'd love suggestions of things to do/see, restaurants, places to stay, etc.  Right now, I'm leaning toward renting a small apartment for the week we'll be in Paris, but sticking with traditional hotels for the rest of the trip, given the costs I've found while researching.
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: European Honeymoon

• I love Bruges, Belgium!  It has to be one of the most charming places I have been in Europe.  It is a easy train ride from most places (we came from Italy).  It is also very easy to find everything on foot so you do not need a car.  We found a little pub on a small side street tha had over 300 kinds of beer and very friendly people.  This place is a definite must see!  Have a great time :)
  • Do you remember where you stayed?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • We stayed in a little hotel that a trave agent recommended called the Hotel Ter Brughe.  It was a small family run hotel, nothing terribly fancy but clean and very helpful and friendly staff, also not crazy expensive.  That liitle pub we found was called 't Brugs Beertje.  I wrote the address in my scrapbook - Kemelstraat 5, 8000 brugge.  Not sure if that is 100% accurate but you can probably find the address online.
  • Awesome!  Thanks!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Just out of curiosity, what cities in Germany? I was in Berlin for 8 days last year and loved it!

LOTS of military history, of course.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Cologne, Schweinfort (I have no idea how to actually spell that), Munich, and maybe another little place I can't remember.  He's in charge of the Germany plan, I'm in charge of France.  I think I found an apartment in Paris for us to rent for the week today.  Actually, I have 2 great candidates on the list that I need to decide between.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• I've been to the Louvre before, and was actually pretty bored.  I think it's art overload.  I'd rather see a couple nice pieces and be able to appreciate them.  The Louvre is just too big.  FI hates art museums.  I'd much rather have a picnic lunch in the gardens than go to the Louvre.  Oh well.  :)

That's two votes for Bruges, too.  Cool.  Since neither of us has been to Belgium at all before, we're pretty open.  It's "on the way" to Cologne which comes highly recommended by a friend, and FI didn't go there when he lived in Germany, so it's definitely on the list.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• I love renting apartments in Europe - it's how I always travel when I go to England. Good call!
  • Kaesha, that actually makes me feel better.  I do private rentals all the time for ski trips in the US, but I've never done an international one.  Just out of curiosity, how do you normally handle payment?  Some will do Paypal, but most want to be paid in cash at checkin.  I don't like carrying that much cash, but if I take it out of the ATM that day, FI and I will both be maxed out on withdrawals for the day.  :( 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• I had a friend definitely recommend Bruges to me as well. Leuven is a small college city, I believe, and someone I know who grew up in Europe says it is great.

FI and I are going to Paris for our honeymoon, so I'd like reviews when you get back please! ;-)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • mery, when's your wedding?  If you're interested in the apartment route I've got a spreadsheet started that I'd be happy to share.  And, I'll def. do reviews.  Right now, we'll be back May 23. 

The leading candidate for apartments has a guestbook review from a lady in Kentucky.  It lists her first & last name, and city.  I googled.  Her phone number comes up.  Would it be ultra creepy if I just called her? 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Eh, I'd probably call, but hope to be able to leave a VM, so that gives her the option of calling you back if she wants to.

My wedding isn't until October, but we're going on a delayed honeymoon the following May (sort of a combined HM/mutual birthday gift). Now that you mention it, the apartment route would be awesome. I'll probably ask you about it close to the time we want to book.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Yeah, a studio apartment with laundry less than a block from the Louvre for 100 euro/night is WAY better than a hotel room.  Same location, no laundry, would be 3 to 5 times as much, based on my research.  Same price would be WAY far away.  (Have you been to Paris before?)

DIY & Planning | Married 

• Nope, I've never been to Paris. Fi did a trimester in Germany in college, and he went for about 2 days, but its different when you're 20 and a broke college student. And this time we'll be there for about 6 days.

We went to London and Edinburgh in August and had a great time. FI had only been to London for a day before, so it was nice to explore everything together.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Ahhh. .. cool.  When we get back I'll do full reviews, but if you decide I'm not scary, I'll ship you my travel guides then too.  I was there about 7 years ago, so I've got just enough background on which to operate.

It is not cheapest vacation, but it's pretty awesome.  And there are some decent ways to save (like the apartment).
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• My FI's family is from Germany and we spent a month there about two years ago.  I would definitely recommend Munich and the surrounds.

I would definitely check out King Ludwig's palaces Herr Chimsee and Neue Schwanstein.  Both are amazing - Herr Chimsee is a replica of Versailles (and nicer, in my opinion!)  Also near Munich is Bechtesgarten, a tiny town just in the Alps on the border with Austria.  There is some amazing hiking there as well as a beautiful riverboat cruise through a little section of the Alps.  I'd love to recomment restaurants or places to stay, the FI and I stay with family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards