Students

XP - Law Schools

I've been researching different law schools so I have an idea of where I'm going to apply, and something came up that I'm looking for a bit of advice on.

How much might it matter whether I get my JD or my LLB? There are some schools that aren't offering the JD yet, just an LLB. That might change before I apply, but either way, is this something any of you considered?

Re: XP - Law Schools

• I don't know what a LLB is so I can't advise on that.

However, when FI got into his law schools, he went to the best one that he got into. Right now the law market sucks and most lawyers graduating from anywhere are not getting jobs. But when he was talking to a friend who goes to a third tier law school, they mentioned that they were working at Target over the summer. Like retail at a store, not working for corporate. So I would go to whatever the best law school is that you get into because unless you are in the top of the class at a lower level school, you are going to be stuck paying a lot of money for a degree that can't be used.

You may want to check out http://abovethelaw.com/ which is a blog my FI loves and has a very real perspective on the law market right now.
    Anniversary image
  • I'm a 3rd year law student and i'm not completely sure how to answer this.  The LLB isn't offered in the US, from what I understand, and the LLB is an undergraduate degree?

The pro of the JD, for me, is that its a graduate degree that opens up many doors for me, and generally speaking, the starting salary for almost any legal job I get will make up for the debt I go into.  And obviously, in the US, I can't practice law unless I get my JD.

On the other hand, I am in debt.  Keep in mind, half of my tuition is paid for by scholarship, and I get state tuition for a state law school.  My debt will be far under 6 figures when I graduate in May because I took advantage of having a good in state law school.

If the LLB is equally beneficial to a JD where you live, and its less expensive, then perhaps it doesn't matter.  But in my opinion, I wouldn't apply to law schools that don't offer JD programs.  And be cautious about new law schools--they tend to have easier acceptance rates, but they tend to be expensive, and may lack any credibility in the legal field.  Its pointless to pay for a degree if people hesitate to hire you based on where you got your degree.

Also, don't feel that Ivy League is the only way to go.  See which schools make the most sense to your situation, income, and career goals.

• Really, the LLB isn't offered in the US anymore? We still have it here in Canada. It's a "Bachelor of Laws" but it's essentially the same as a JD here. Traditionally, the LLB is British which is why it was offered in Canada before we started switching over to the JD, but that transition hasn't been fully completed at all schools yet. Both allow you to practice law. We also don't have an Ivy League in Canada.

I'm actually fortunate enough with my connections that the legal market really isn't a concern. And I'm not looking to practice in the States, so I don't need to worry about that either. But from what I can tell the JD does seem to be more widely accepted outside of Canada.

Thanks for the blog link, Mrs. MLRB!
  • In the U.S., we have an undergraduate major focusing on the law and legal issues, but that is considered a pre-professional degree - meaning that it provides a good foundation for people interested in law school.  But my former students who are lawyers have majors OTHER than pre-law (English, Communication, Theatre, Public Relations, etc.), and they don't think that the pre-law degree gives much of an advantage in law school.

Then we have law schools that offer the J.D.

And we have some law schools that offer the LLM, which is a specialty degree for holders of the J.D.  For example, I have a friend who has a general J.D., and then specialized with the LLM in tax.
  • Go to Law School and get a JD!!!!

No one knows what an LLB is in the US, and likely if you live here you won't get hired over someone with a JD (Juris Doctorate) Either way, the market is saturated with lawyers looking for jobs, so prospects are dim, I think
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards