Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Paying someone to help change your last name

Hi all. Well, we did it and are married! However, I am having a heck of a time changing my last name. Mainly because I am from Florida, have been living in Australia for the past 7 years and now living in the US Virgin Islands. So I don't have any bills with my name on it (I am a very transient person), changing my name on my drivers license is a real pain. So I hired a website (MissnowMrs) to help me. Well, it was bloody useless. So I just wanted to post my opinion on here. Don't bother paying someone to do it. You can do it yourself. And even if you are not in a situation like myself (lives in many different places for short amounts of times), it still is useless. Save youself the $30. 
 I'm sending off for a new social security card and will just deal with the DMV and passport office some other day....when I can waste time, sitting around an office, waiting....
 Anyways, just my opinion if any future Mrs. is thinking about hiring someone. I'm sure other people have positive reviews. 

Re: Paying someone to help change your last name

• I'm wondering what you needed bills with your name for. Changing my name was a snap. I did SS first and all I needed was my old card and my marriage certificate. For the DMV, I took the temp SS card and the marriage certificate. I don't have a passport, but changing everything else (bank, CCs, etc.) was also simple. Pretty much everybody but the bank did it over the phone.

And FWIW, MissnowMrs comes up frequently on here, and we always advise against it as a waste of money.
  • I needed a bank statement with my new address to prove residency since I moved there after getting married & wanted to change both my name/address on my license. Perhaps it was something similar for the OP. Changing my name was a pain because the DMV gave me such a hard time with that. 
  • Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if I should use missnowmrs. I definitely will not!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG---before we got married, I saw all the ads for the "kits" and was so nervous about the process that I thought I would just buy one of those.
    Then I read something here about how easy it was and not to bother buying one of those packages. I'm so thankful I didn't!! I went to Social Security and the DMV on the same day. After I had my new license, I changed credit cards and bank accounts. I'm waiting on my passport since it doesn't expire until next year (and if you use your passport as your id, it doesn't matter what you license says..and accordingly, I haven't changed my frequent flier info or things like that). It's a little tedious, and may be a lot of waiting. But not worth paying for ... unless you want to pay me. I'll do it for you. Sealed
  • I took care of my SS card, drivers license, and banking info all in less than an hour total by myself in person. All I needed to start with was my license, SS card, and marriage certificate. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on one of those kits either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards