Massachusetts-Boston

Rustic/Barn/UniqueVenues?

Hello all!

Newly engaged and already looking into our October 2012 wedding!!  We are looking into venues with a capacity of about 125-150 in the Southeastern MA/Boston/Rhode Island area that are unique and not the typical function hall/country club setting.  We really like the rustic barn/country look (exposed wood, stone, etc).  Since it will be October, we'd also prefer not to use a tent.  We'd also like to keep budget in mind.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Re: Rustic/Barn/UniqueVenues?

• AlyssaC417AlyssaC417 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to look into Smith Barn in Peabody, Ma. It is really beautiful and not to pricey. Also Cloverleaf Catering is on their caterer list and I am using them and they are extremely reasonable for food and really good! Worth a look
    64862_157110774322536_100000708424779_312151_6782220_n Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HockeyFan4HockeyFan4 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i can't recomend Zukus Hill Top Barn in Spencer, MA enough!!!

If our good friends hadn't gotten married there I would have pushed to make it our venue.

They were married in mid October...the view was stunning!!!!!!

http://www.zukas.com/
  • edited December 2011
    How much are you looking to spend (total for the reception or per person)? There are quite a few barn/rustic venues, but price will definitely rule out some of them.
  • edited December 2011
    Gibbet Hill in Groton
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my October 8th wedding at Harrington Farm in Princeton, MA.
    It is 100% worth the drive out there as it has everything! A pond, blue stone patio, open beam "barn" with stone fireplace. The food is amazing and so are the views!
    It is on Wachusett Mountain...with breathtaking scenery.
    Vacation Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We got married last September at Harrington Farm. The venue is gorgeous and the food is some of the best wedding food I have ever eaten! Gibbet is also very nice (a little more expensive than Harrington), we live in the town that Gibbet is in and the food at the grill is always delicious! I almost looked at Zukas also which is lower priced than Harrington and I've heard good things about that place also...
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all for the suggestions so far! We are looking to preferably spend less than about $60-70 pp...Hope this helps.  Also, while all of these suggestions so far are beautiful, they are a little too far out in Western mass from our ceremony church.  Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    The Red Lion Inn is another place to check out (in Cohasset).  

There high season prices may be in effect though, putting it out of your budget....  
  • marshallramarshallra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Camp Kiwanee in  Hanson MA.  It is a camp used for girl scouts and youth group but it has a lodge  that was the original summer home of the wealthy family that donated the land to the town.  The building is absolutely beautiful.  It was built in the early 1900s and has original knotty pine walls,(real ones not paneling)  a very large function room (will hold 150 no problem) a smaller library and a gorgeous porch/ deck overlooking a lake.  The function room's windows also look over the lake.  The views in the fall are spectacular.  There is a stone fireplace in the foyer and in the library.  The full length windows in the library slide down into the floor if it is a nice day so your guests can wander out to the porch.   
      It is owned by the town so the rental cost is very reasonable- if memory serves like 1500-2000.  I think they have tables and chairs so you don't have to rent them.  You can bring in any caterer you want- so you easily could stay in your budget.

They fill up very quickly so check it out soon. 
  • edited December 2011
    We had originally looked at Smith Barn in Brooksby Farm before settling on an entirely different venue. It was a very rustic space and if you are having a wedding in the summer or fall, the landscape in the pics they showed us looked very scenic. They were a reasonably priced barn and had a specific list of catering companies you had to use. There was even an upstairs part in the barn which would be good if you had a lot of friends and family coming. The only problem is that if you have many people coming from out of town, they would have to rent a car to get up there.
  • edited December 2011

we got married at the Red Lion Inn in Cohasset in February of last year --- the food and the service were amazing --- it is a such beautiful, unique venue...definite barn feel and look.

I'm not sure what their pricing is anymore but I know that they were willing to negotiate with us on minimums...there are some mixed reviews out there on this venue but overall our experience was great...feel free to PM me if you want more details or have questions...GL!

• edited December 2011
    Westmoor Farm on Nantucket might be worth checking out.
    Irish *wife* on Nantucket, lovin' the island life with the love of my life! image
  • edited December 2011
    Might be too far, but my venue (see siggy) is The Salem Cross Inn in West Brookfield Ma... we're looking at about $40 pp.
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My 10-14-11 wedding will be at Zukas Hilltop Barn in Spencer, MA. My FH and I fell in LOVE with it the moment we walked in...I can't wait! And for the price you are looking to spend is definitely doable here :) Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Annakat1028Annakat1028 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that Zukas is beautiful, but they book up fast so I'd contact them sooner than later if you're interested.

I went to a wedding last summer at Kiwanee in Hanson and loved it. Very comfrotable and fun and they have a fire pit area that we all used after the reception (you also can book the cabins).

Stow has some nice country clubs - not barn-ish but they feel very country like.

We looked at Blissful Meadows in Uxbridge and fell in love with it. Unfortunately it was booked the 3 weekends we wanted and it wasn't quite large enough for our group, but it's beautiful!
    http://www.blissfulmeadows.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=670&page=37298

Hope that helps! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Blissful Meadows is beautiful.  I am getting married there in October. 

Their Chestnut Room has the original exposed chestnut beams, there is farm equipment on the grounds. 

Their pricing is more than reasonable.  Their food is delicious! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 image Invited guests
    73image Will be celebrating with us!
    81 image Would rather look at our wedding photo album and/or video
    3 image Making me wait

RSVP Date September 18, 2011
  • callibrittanycallibrittany member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Im not sure if its too far or not but the Red Apple Farm in Phillipston, MA is really unique and really pretty that time of year! You would have to get it catered, but they have a really cool rustic barn they hold functions in!
  • edited December 2011
    Love the suggestions - also would suggest Overbrook House & Bourne Farms. 

For any rental items, absolutely reach out to us at New England Country Rentals, www.NewEnglandCountryRentals.com - we would be happy to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards