Second Weddings
Options

vintage wedding dress

does anyone have any suggestions where to go for a vintage t-length or gown lacey dress - this is a second wedding and my wedding is this spring and I would like it to be soft and flowey......need help... or a suggestion for a desss>>>>  I have been to many bridal shops and the bride gown is not really for me...I am 56 years old and my daughter and grand daughter are in the wedding party (actually they are the wedding party on the brides side)  HELP

Re: vintage wedding dress

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wound up getting mine from David's and was surprised. I was also going for a vintagey, beachy (in my case) elegant, but non traditional/poofy. I also looked at this site: http://www.romanticgowns.com/collection/informal.asp?Cat=Informal&idCat=340
    They had some adaptable styles and when I spoke and emailed them were willing to customize too. I didn't pursue them as I wound up finding something as mentioned.Another woman in my office wound up buying a MOB dress in ivory, and I have heard others look at BM dresses in white or ivory so there are certainly lots of options.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really love the look of this designer: http://martinmccrea.com/

~Donna
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks right1this time.....your right, it's the moments that will be remembered.....but I still do need a dress.....lol
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might try asking on your local board for consignment stores.  I searched in a lot of vintage shops here in Atlanta, because I was looking for something similar to what you described, but then ended up with a Grecian inspired "special occasion" dress from David's Bridal.  A lot of that had to do with my size. I'm a former competitive body builder, so although I'm not real big (anymore, boo!) I carry a bit more muscle than most women my age.  It was tough to find a dress that fit me through the back and shoulders from the 50's 60's.  I actually ordered, then returned, a dress from Martin Macrea--the color and cut just wasn't right for me.   
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Really, since you don't know exactly what you want, I'd say "google, google, google".

By googling "vintage wedding gowns" I found these sites:

http://www.vintagewedding.com/informal.html

http://www.unique-vintage.com/wedding-dresses-c-102.html

Keep in mind that today, "vintage" can be anything from the victorian era to the 1960's.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Follow up: I went to the second link above, they have FABULOUS and adorable dresses, depending on what you want. Look at the testimonials too. There are dresses in there that people wore for their weddings, and links for clicking if you want to order the dress or read more reviews. There's a great wedding style dress in there that did not come up in the pages of dresses. I'd call them and describe what you are looking for and ask for specifics.

Good luck!                      
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know exacly what you mean. I, too, am in my 50's and not really interested in strapless-sleeveless-long gowns. I am not yet engages, but knew what I wanted the second time around. I looked on ebay, searched 'vintage lace dresses' and tons of dresses came up. On the left of the pages are some catagories to click on, including wedding apperal. It took me several months, and a couple of false starts, but I found exactly what I wanted; late 40's- early 50's, sleeves, nice neckline, allover lace, not-too-full skirt, wonderful workmanship and fabric.
    I have  a couple of the 'not quite right' ones still. I tried sellling them on ebay, but the market isn't what it used to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards