Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Ipod at outdoor reception

I am getting married in 17 days in an all outdoor venue in the Mountains of Southern California. My fiancee and I decided not to get a DJ because we wont be able to use the dancefloor or music station if there is inclimate weather (we can tent the reception are at least).

Does anyone have tips for using an ipod for the music? I hear people talking about mixing software that allows you to transitition from one song to the next without gaps, can anyone direct me to any of those?

Help please- I am freaking out

Re: Ipod at outdoor reception

• edited December 2011
    I'm biased, but I would say don't do it.  Your ipod, even if connected to "professional" sound systems won't do a very good job.  You won't have microphones, and someone to direct everything.

Please, please, please... look at the following link: 

www.adja.org/general/ipodwedding.asp
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your response but I am affraid that it is just too late for me. I only have 16 days and like no money left in my budget. It wasn't my ideal choice but I have to make it work. If you have any other advice I would love to hear it.
  • citygemgrlcitygemgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using an IPOD for my wedding. How did yours go?  Can you give me any advice? Thanks :)
  • edited December 2011
    Make a playlist on ITunes and hook your computer to a professional sound system.  That way you won't have to worry about IPod's dying the day of.  Just take your time and create a playlist you'll love.  It will be totally worth it--you'll love all of your music, and save a ton of money.  Just make sure that you have more than enough music to last the entire reception, and separate playlists for cocktailing, dinner, and dancing.  Designate someone to be in charge of switching these, and skipping songs in case one that comes on doesn't fit the mood at the time.  Good luck!  I'm sure it will be great!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using my ipod for our wedding too...

You should get iVolume.. it makes sure that every song is the same volume so you won't have to adjust it all the time.

Assign one of your friends to control the music on the ipod so you don't have to worry about it.

Make sure that there are different kinds of music on your ipod's playlist (remember music for the old people too).

• edited December 2011
    I don't know if your version of iTunes has either the Genius or DJ feature.  The Genius feature will help you create playlists by matching songs to the style of music.  The DJ feature will make for smooth transitions.  HTH

Thanks to PP for the tip about iVolume!
  • tenhaaftenhaaf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I dont have any suggestions.... but my friend did this at her wedding and it was fine. I'm sure it will work great!

• edited December 2011
    Thank you to everyone who responded and for the tips about iDJ and iVolume. I will let everyone know how it goes, but so far I am in LOVE with my playlist- full of songs that DJs said they didn't have or wouldn't get :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm also planning to use ipod for my wedding. For those who are experienced, do you know where to get/rent the professional sound system so ipod can link to? I also need to rent a microphone for the toasting. Does any one know what the  price range is in renting these equipments?
    thanks a lot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards