Flowers
Options

Bouquet Opinions

Hi all,

We're getting married June 4, 2011, so I'm just beginning my planning and would like some opinions. I'm not big on flowers for a lot of reasons - cost, dead flowers after the wedding, poppies are my favorite - too fragile...etc - so I've been researching non-floral options for my and my bm's bouquets. I'm thinking about having each of my bm carry a big pinwheel - http://www.etsy.com/listing/42112060/custom-designed-for-you-pinwheel-wedding?ref=cat2_list_20 - and then I will carry a bouquet with a small pinwheel attached. I'm back and forth on my own bouquet, but I think the bouquet toss is fun and I think my grandma would be kind of bummed if we didn't have it. What are your thoughts? Cute? Or weird?

Thanks!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bouquet Opinions

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that if you don't want flowers it's a good option.  The only thing I can think of is if you have a bouquet made out of pinwheels, when it comes to the toss that could hurt.  There's a lot of sharp edges on them and I wouldn't want to try to catch it.  Just a thought.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AlanBonni2011AlanBonni2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your reply! If I end up going with pinwheels, I plan to carry a flower bouquet with a small pinwheel on the handle - that way there's no sharp edges :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    not cute, unless you are getting married outside and you are 10yrs old. I am all for alternatives if you don't like flowers but come on.If you are wearing a long formal dress and a veil,and guys are in tuxes, it is a formal wedding do you really want cute?
    JMO
  • Options
    jamjar11jamjar11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm personally not a big fan of the pinwheel idea. Its just a little odd to me. If its an outdoor wedding it might be cute to do parasols or fans, or for an evening wedding lanterns or candles can be cute ideas. I like all of those ideas better than the pinwheels.
    April 2011 November Siggy: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i almost went with pinwheels, but im doing parasols for my bms instead.
    i wasnt going to go with a floral bouquet for myself, but my florist had such great ideas that won me over :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if it is an outdoor, casual wedding it would work. If it is formal or indoors look into the lantern/candle thing. I've also seen where the bridesmaids have just carried one hydrangea, lily, gerber daisy. I know you said you don't like fresh flowers but one might not be so bad and it would cost less.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    gaharvardgaharvard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of options to live flowers. Feather bouquets are nice and easy to DIY. You could use lavender and fresh herbs; these could be dried and used after your day. I think the pinwheel idea can be really nice, especially if the ceremony is outside. Also look on Etsy.com; there are some interesting ideas there as well -- I remember one in particular of crocheted flowers; they really looked lovely (not tacky).
  • Options
    AlanBonni2011AlanBonni2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your responses! I have a lot of googling/etsying to do!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the pinwheel idea. I have considered using that exact same seller. Just have not made up my mind yet. I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The most obvious alternative would be nothing.  The ladies don't have to carry anything really.  As long as they are comfortable with their hands lightly clasped in front of them or at their sides -- no fidgeting -- then it could work.  However, I know a lot of ppl can't keep their hand still without something to hold. 

So .... What about books?  Small poetry volumes, books of scripture or something else similarly sized.  That would keep the bridal party's hands occupied and without flowers to pay for or worry about.  And, it really doesn't matter what's in the books -- just that they're small.  You could find something in a second-hand book store, probably for a buck or two a piece.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards