Florida-West Coast
Options

Saturday at lovers key state park was perfect LONG (Reviews and Pic in post)

Saturday our event happened and it perfect!
My In laws live near charlotte harbor so we suggested that people stay at the Wyvern hotel. Stunning hotel we stayed there Friday night. Once they found out why we where there they upgraded us to a even nicer room. A+
Friday night dinner for everyone was at Sharky's on the Pier in Venice Beach, FL. This night was amazing, the drinks were great, and the food was good. One thing to note was that they don't take reservations before mothers day. The front desk was really unhelpful after I had called and discussed this with them. BUT they have self serve tables on the right beach side. My in laws had gotten there early and camped out at one of those tables so we just grabbed more tables as everyone got their. Since all of the people but them where out of towners my dinner the night before included everyone but two people. But we ended up having a great time and seeing the sunset. A- (only because of the front desk)
I did my own hair and make up at the hotel. My SIL came from her room to help me straiten the back of my hair. I had gotten a bunch of cystral hair twists for my hair. I also had found great bridal sandals shoes I got from DSW but they were great. My dress was Jcrew Sophia. I love my dress full length silk ivory gown. Jcrew sells them for $250 and you can return them. They also have other styles. You can also find them on ebay often. So many people talked to me about my dress. I really wanted a simple elegant silk dress that flowed since we were on the beach A+

Our event was at lovers Key state park.  They have a gazebo right on the beach that is perfect for events. It is 40 feet SQ. We had our ceremony on the beach and the reception in the gazebo. Even though they are a stunning state park they have a firm that runs all the services. I was able to get tables, linens, chairs, even ice directly from them. Everything was all set up when I got there by them. They even had the owner drive me from my car to the gazebo in his golf cart so I didn't have to walk. Everyone all day keep telling me how amazing it was. The weather was also perfect. At the end of our reception we walked the beach which was fun. All the people on the beach kept saying congrats. Info on lovers key weddings here
A+
Flowers COSTCO. I also reviewed this in Budget weddings but they were so great. for 350 I got a 20 piece rose collection. They even swapped out the maids for centerpieces for me. They can't switch too much since they have a special designed box that allows them to send the flowers already done strait from the growers in Columbia. I think they worked amazing. All of my guests commented on how great they were. A+
I loved mine so much that I am having them preserved by a place that does that.
Photographer I lucked out and found atruely amazing photographer on craigslist of all places. It is happily ever after portraits. The photographer is E.B. and her second is Tag her FI. They are a great team. EXTREMELY affordable but also an amazing person with a ton of talent. She already has my sneak peak up. AND I love them ! You can see them here and also see her website if you are still looking. A++

Cake not a fl place. I am vegan but most of my guests were not so I needed an amazing cake. I had sticky fingers bakery in DC make my cake. They just won cupcake wars last month. A friend of mine flew with the cake to FL on a flight. Turned out perfect. And yes you can fly a cake :-). Now it probably only works for a small event like mine since we made sure that it would fit in an overhead. I had her make the top tier in yellow cake with a raspberry crème fondant and the bottom in chocolate with hazelnut crème. I also had some piping and swirls on it.
If you visit DC sticky fingers is great if you are vegan or if not. See here
A+
Caterer. So great. I found them on craigslist late in the game. I had planned on picking up food in Tampa from whole foods but once I found the caterer I canceled. Finding someone who can cook for some very traditional relatives (including our dads) all the way to vegan for me and a guest. Sophisticated caterer did the job. Toby is trained at Johnson and wails and Joy is trained at Culinary Institute of America. They are a team and they are lovely. The food was great and everyone loved it. They also went out of the way to be super helpful. They went above and beyond on all fronts. 239.288.38.41 -toby.
toby2012@comcast.net
A+

Honestly all was perfect. I could not have asked for more.
The first pic is from our sneak peak the rest is from hubby camera. Including the one of me walking down the

(he wanted a pic of me)

Re: Saturday at lovers key state park was perfect LONG (Reviews and Pic in post)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Loved the reviews, sounds like a cute wedding! Thanks for sharing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    souschef08souschef08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews- we're thinking about Lover's Key for our RD.  They seem to have a lot of various fees and stuff and seem like they want you to use their caterer, but it looks like you didn't.  Did you still have to pay the $610 "event fee"?  Did they let you bring in your own alcohol or did your caterer have to serve it?
    October 2011 Sept Siggy- wedding preview! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LizdcLizdc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did have to pay those fees but since I was doing everything there it wasn't a big deal. To have the reception and ceremony was way cheaper than anywhere else. You pay a fee to use a different caterer which I did. I only did champange that was self serve. My event was also during the day so I didn't have to pay the after hours tram fee.
    I would say it is a stunning place and the gazebo is large. 40 feet wide. It was one of the best beach venue's I have have ever seen. I am biased :-) and was there on a perfect day (85 and sunny).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got engaged yesterday but was thinking about getting married on Lover's Key. I live about 20 miles away.  Who did you arrange it through?
  • Options
    LizdcLizdc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The park contracts all the services out to http://www.naturerecreationmanagement.com/Weddings.html
    They set up everything in the park including the snack bar ect. But it also means that you rent tables, chairs, linens, ect from them. Like many venues they also have recomended venders that they work with. I used a different caterer but could have found everything from them including flowers.
    I loved it! It was perfect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha,  I see you are in DC and went to Florida to get married. I'm from Florida but he proposed to me in DC. :)

Thanks for the info. That's really helpful. It seems like that's my top idea right now.
  • Options
    LizdcLizdc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah my in laws are snow birds who live part oftheyear in punt a gorda. My hubby iloves the FL beaches and so do I. Someday we will move there. We wereableto use his parents as a home base which helped a ton. Everyone came in town for the events. Ihad only been to lovers key once before Saturday on a vacation so we were able to do everything with lovers key over the phone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is great news. I am from Florida but live in MN and we want a beach wedding. I hope we can get the pavillion reserved. I am also looking at Gasparila Island. Anywhere on the west coast of Flordia is beautiful. Thanks for all the ideas!
    Maureen Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards