Connecticut

Kay's Diamond Event?

Has anyone ever gone to this? Liked it? Didn't? FI and I are thinking of checking it out this September. 

On another note, does anyone happen to know of/recommend any other jeweler that does custom rings?

Re: Kay's Diamond Event?

• edited December 2011

There are a lot of jewelers on here that people recommend.  My bench jewelry is in NYC, so not the best scenario for you.  I also do work with Robertson Jewelers.  They do amazing custom work.  They have stores in New Milford and Litchfield.  Not sure where you are.  If you give us a location, I'm sure people will give you recs.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • lawrajilawraji member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI used to work at Zales, and his dad works at Michael's. Zales and Kay's when they have events they are always really pushy and its sort of now or never when you speak with them. When we were looking for erings we went to when and it actually got me not to get my ring from Zales. (michaels discount helped as well) 

just what i think
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_kays-diamond-event?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:44b89cd5-4fd6-4a80-a088-57c8ab000ad6Post:a56eb09d-bf04-4caa-a4e4-c1e788258cc5">Re: Kay's Diamond Event?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are a lot of jewelers on here that people recommend.  My bench jewelry is in NYC, so not the best scenario for you.  I also do work with Robertson Jewelers.  They do amazing custom work.  They have stores in New Milford and Litchfield.  Not sure where you are. <strong> If you give us a location, I'm sure people will give you recs.</strong>
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Our jeweler is amazing & she does custom work!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! We're in Manchester, but I'm not opposed to going wherever if it means we'll get great service.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_kays-diamond-event?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:44b89cd5-4fd6-4a80-a088-57c8ab000ad6Post:a56eb09d-bf04-4caa-a4e4-c1e788258cc5">Re: Kay's Diamond Event?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are a lot of jewelers on here that people recommend.  My bench jewelry is in NYC, so not the best scenario for you.  I also do work with <strong>Robertson Jewelers.  They do amazing custom work.  They have stores in New Milford</strong> and Litchfield.  Not sure where you are.  If you give us a location, I'm sure people will give you recs.
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]
    I highly recommend them.  My family has brought all of our jewelry there for about 15 years.  They do great custom work as well.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad's friend is a jeweler and does amazing custom work for much cheaper than the big name chains. His name is David and here's a link to his website:

http://www.davidanthonyjewelers.com/servlet/StoreFront

• edited December 2011
    Malloves in Middletown also does custom work- and they are so incredibly nice and helpful. I've never gotten custom pieces done before, but my grandparents and aunt have there and they loved it. We buy all of our jewelry gifts from here for our family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly highly recommend Majestic in Mystic - they made my ring and do TONS of completely custom work.

Don't go to Kay's.  Go to a private store owned by a jeweler who knows his craft and will stand by his product.  If anything ever happened to my ring, Chuck will fix it for me on the spot.  At Kay's, you'd have to wait 6 weeks while it gets shipped out, you have to pay extra for a warrantee, etc etc.  I'm a big fan of supporting small business.
  • edited December 2011
    For good custom jewelery, I would recommend Nordic Jewelers. FI and I are doing the "Make your own Wedding Rings" with them - they have a great package. The owners are amazing and I will have custom, one of a kind wedding rings.

http://www.nordicjewelers.net/
  • 2bpescadita2bpescadita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Chistie's fine jewlery in Manchester. they are right next to Applebee's by the mall area.
    I've had a couple of stuff done with them and they are pretty resonable and explain all the details to you.
    good luck!
  • edited December 2011

Hannoush Jewelers!  I loved them, we got all our rings there.  Family owned, they always remember us and have great warantys.  Re-dipped for free once a year.  Cleaned any time I want it.

They have a location at Buckland Hills, we used the one at West Farms

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Don't go to Kay's, White Hall (I can't remember hte name), Zales, Macys, etc.  The diamonds are very poor quality and have an approximate 300% mark up.  The reason they do so well is that people who go there don't know any better. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! I will def be checking out these places!!
  • edited December 2011
    not to through another name at you, but my FI got my e ring at Baribault's in Glastonbury.  They've been fantastic.  Family owned, and both our family's have gone there forever, I suppose generations!  They resized my ring within 2 hours of bringing it in, they clean it whenever I like, and when one of the tiny pave diamonds fell out they replaced it within 1/2 an hour and assured me all the rest were rechecked and secured.  All of this was free of charge, their customer service is fantastic, and I believe they do custom work.

Granted, I don't have much experience with other jewelers.  I did have a diamond tennis bracelet from Zales, and they were very unhelpful when the clasp broke.  Maybe I just have bad luck with diamonds if something breaks every time I get any!  But anyways, they never once apologized that their product had a flaw, and what they wanted me to pay to repair it was absurd!

So all in all, Baribault's gets my recommendation.  We plan on giving them the business for our wedding rings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards