Not Engaged Yet
Options

Thoughts on an "iPod Reception"

We'll probably painstakingly create our own playlists throughout the next 6 months on our iTunes, bring my laptop, rent speakers and a mic. Will designate a friend of my brother to "man" the music station all night, as well as designate an emcee and give him specific schedule of "announcements".

Do you think this will work out okay? Will the flow be okay?

I'm getting paranoid it will fail. But the DJ estimates I've gotten are way out of my budget, plus, most DJs suck.

It is too risky to move the computer and speakers from the ceremony, to the patio cocktail hour to the reception hall? if we have designated friends to help us with this?

thoughts?

Re: Thoughts on an "iPod Reception"

• Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess my question is, is the effort that would go into making playlists, renting speakers, transporting the computer and ipod worth the savings? Do you know anyone who has done this, as to get an idea if this flows well and that there weren't any major glitches?

For me it would be a significant headache to make sure everything was all set. Have you by chance looked on craigslist for DJ's? It may sound weird, but around my area there are a lot of companies that have listings on CL with specials for finding them on CL. These are legitimate companies and not Joe Schmo running something out of his basement.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, it depends on what type of reception you are going for.  Do you want people out on the dance floor or do you want background music?  Is your crowd the type that needs a little coaxing to get moving?  How big is your guest list? (The smaller the guest list, the more inclined I would be to go with an iPod.)

I would be worried about the flow.  Does your site have a DOC or are you hiring one?  Who is going to be in charge of the timeline? 

In my opinion, an experienced DJ is worth it.  Our DJ set the tone for the reception.  While we picked out the songs for the different parts of our reception, he got our crowd moving.  We had a DOC, but the two of them worked together to make sure everything was on track. 

I also agree with loopy.  Setting it up could be a major headache. 
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything you've said. But I'm very hesitant in picking a DJ. I've never been to a wedding where I've liked the DJ. If we do get one, he will be pretty non-existent.  FI and I have a pretty specific picture of how we'd like the music flow to be throughout the day. (Country for cocktail hour, motown/jazz for dinner, classic rock/80s/contemporary for dancing). We will probably end up giving them our exact playlist if we pick a DJ. We're both very willing to put a lot of time into it, so that's not really a concern for me.

Our crowd (app 130 ppl) will be just fine boogie-ing on their own, so no need to coax. I'm not doing any organized dances, no bouquet toss, no garter, i don't want a special cake song, etc.

We would rent out all the sound equipment and need to designate some of FIs friends that would be willing to take care of it. We may even need to rent a smaller set for the ceremony/cocktail hour.

A friend 2 years ago had her cousin do all the music off a computer, and we had a blast. Another friend is doing it this summer.

I just don't know. I think logically we're willing to put the work into it and $$ into getting good equipment. I just am wondering if it's maybe not a good idea. But then when I look at DJs, I do NOT get a good feeling either.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    To me, the DJ is totally worth the money. I don't want to put in the work, and I know I would worry day of about the timeline and such.

BUT, you have to do what's right for you. If you and your FI will enjoy picking out the songs and creating playlists, and you won't worry about equipment set up, flow of events, getting people moving, etc. the day of, then you should go for it!

It's YOUR wedding. Do what you feel best with and listen to your instincts.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    Ultimately I would say that if you are comfortable with doing your own music and that is what you really want then I say go with it. No sense in shelling out a lot of money for a DJ that you really don't want to be using.

Although we are not having a DJ (live band instead) I must admit that I'm glad I'm not planning an east coast wedding. Around Minneapolis you can get a good DJ starting around $600.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I would really worry about is whether you're going to be worried about it or messing with it on your wedding day.  As long as you have someone you trust to set it up and move it and set it up again, and they know how to make it work (not always easy for someone unexperienced), then I think it'll be fine.  If you would just be giving a list of songs to someone anyway, and not relying on them to help set the mood and run the party, then I see no reason to spend the money for a DJ other than piece of mind regarding moving the equipment around and setting it up.  If you've got that covered, I think it's a good way to save some money.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    edited December 2011
    What are you doing for ceremony music?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MeganFaceMeganFace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you definitely need to do what feels right for you, but keep in mind the DJ can also serve as sort of an emcee to keep things moving along and make any announcements (are you doing WP announcements, for example?).

I guess if you have friends you trust to serve as these roles, then go for it! At the end of the day, it's your wedding and you need to do what feels right for you. :)
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think if you've got a friend that is good in front of crowds, and another that's decent with technology, you could make it work. Manage your own expectations. If you want a very professional sound, interview some DJs (and know there are still no guarantees!). If you are willing to hear an "ummm" and maybe a song skip or other glitch, then let a friend do it. It sounds like your folks will dance either way.

Think of the last great party you went to where people were dancing - probably no DJ at the house, right? Just a good play list? If you aren't doing a ton of announcements and "official" reception crap, go with a buddy. Especially if you have a natural entertainer-type!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards