Students

Re: deleted

• First and formost be honest. Tell them that you would like to share your excitment with them.

My parents were not outwardly happy about my engagment recently so it was hard to be happy myself. I don't think they even said congratulations until a few days later. Coming back up to school after Thanksgiving  break and being able to share the news with some coworkers is what truely made me excited and keeps me excited.

My aunts and uncles have been more outwardly excited than my parents were initally. My parents love me and want the best for me, but in this situation I know what I want and I'm an adult who can make my own decision. I've just come to realize that talking things out is the best thing.
  • I wasn't sure how my dad would take it (Not that he would be mad, just feel like he was losing his little girl) so I would just casually bring it up and my mom was so excited when she found out we were planning on getting engaged, so I think she helped ease him into it.

Just casually mention the idea a few times first, so when you come home with a ring it's not a total shock.
    siggya>
  • yea - just tell them how excited you are and it will help them gain excitement too.

my parents too weren't crazy about the idea - as i'm still in school and didnt want me to not finish - but they've noticed through my actions and words how much i love my FI - and now they're completely excited.

good luck!!!
    Photobucket
  • Both of our parents already knew. I think that made things easier. We started talking really early about marriage and timing. We started dating when we were 15 and started talking seriously about marriage just after our freshman year of college. So, for us it was an on going conversation about when we were going to get married (and other related topics). Talk about the fact that ya'll are talking about marriage. I think it's important to include family in the conversation. We started to talk to them early because we valued their opinion and wanted their help. It's a big time for you and your fiance, but it's also a big time for your family. 
  • We were both in our junior year of college.  I told my mom first.  She said, "well, I can't say I'm surprised."  Ricky also told his mom.  She said, "oh, that's nice."  His parents were totally cool with it.  We were more worried about my parents because we planned on getting married before I graduated.  I felt better talking to my mom, so I told her, talked with her about it for a while, and she was able to brace my dad for it.  We finally told him a couple of weeks later.

Their biggest concern was of course how we were going to support ourselves.  We spent a good 4 days prior to telling anyone and/or making any decisions going through the finances and answering all those questions ourselves.  When we were asked, we had well thought out and realistic answers.  It made me feel a lot better knowing we weren't going to be blindsided by anything.  Maybe that would help you too?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards