Military Brides

XP: Site for Selling Stuff

My Mom has offered to give me her L couch she hates... so I am selling my current couch, chair and atoman. Problem is I don't know how to go about selling them. I know of craiglist but FI thinks its creepy and unless it was the day I'm moving out I wouldn't feel comfortable with strangers coming to pick up the furniture... KWIM?

Pros/Cons to Craigslist?!? Any other alternatives I could try? I'm not looking for much $$ but more getting them off my hands so I don't have the move them :)

Re: XP: Site for Selling Stuff

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a big fan of Craigslist, though it's easier (and more anonymous) to be the buyer rather than the seller.  Anyway you can transport stuff to a neutral location so they don't have to know your home address?  Otherwise, I'd say the week before you move would be fine, and be picky about who you let buy your stuff.

You could also check with Salvation Army and Big Brothers Big Sisters to see if they'll take it as a donation.  Often they'll pick stuff up, and it then becomes tax deductible.  You won't get the money right away, but you'll see the benefit next tax season, and you'll feel good doing it!  This is how my parents always get rid of their stuff.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    calindi.. If I didn't live alone then I would put it on craiglists no prob....
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was trying to get rid of a couch a few years ago.  I called a local women's shelter to see if they had anyone moving out soon who needed furniture.  They sent a truck out the next day to pick it up.  They gave me a reciept for my taxes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can always pretend you don't live alone... have a friend or two come over when they're scheduled to pick it up.  Apologize that your FI is at work so he's not home to help move the furniture, etc.  I do this when I get pizza delivered when I'm home alone!  I always shout, "Honey, I'll get the door!  It's the pizza guy!" so they don't think I'm there by myself.

But yeah, I like the warm-fuzzies idea of donating furniture.  You do get the value later on your taxes!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_xp-selling-stuff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:43a57706-d968-4feb-9827-c4836fb77d70Post:bc1baed0-902d-4f6f-8e4d-94edbfaf263a">Re: XP: Site for Selling Stuff</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can always pretend you don't live alone... have a friend or two come over when they're scheduled to pick it up.  Apologize that your FI is at work so he's not home to help move the furniture, etc.  I do this when I get pizza delivered when I'm home alone!  I always shout, "Honey, I'll get the door!  It's the pizza guy!" so they don't think I'm there by myself. But yeah, I like the warm-fuzzies idea of donating furniture.  You do get the value later on your taxes!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of donating it too. I'm going to call around this weekend and see what places need it. I donate clothes and stuff all the time, but didn't think about furniture!
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Goodwill will also come pick up large items.  I drag them outside and let them take them from the yard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards