Colorado-Denver
Options

Caterer - HELP!

Is anyone else having a terrible time finding a caterer? I've e-mailed 10-12 and have heard back from two, and the one is quickly turning sour. I'm looking for something pretty affordable, so that could limit my choices. But I think I at least deserve a response to my initial inquiry! I'd love anyone's suggestions on a responsive, affordable caterer.

Re: Caterer - HELP!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd suggest The Gourmet Kitchen (not to be confused with Gourmet Fine Catering) and Canon Catering.  The Gourmet Kitchen is our caterer and we found them to be very affordable.  We're paying $20 pp for a double entree buffet.  You can see our menu and pictures of food in my bio.

Canon Catering was a close second choice.  Their initial price was five cents cheaper, but we didn't chose them because they charged a travel fee and because we felt our caterer had more options for our price range.  Their food and customer service is great, though. 

When I looked for caterers, it was hard to get responses from quite a few prospects.  At this time of year, many could be busy in preparation for Super Bowl and Valentine's Day.  Be patient and you may find a gem.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have also had this problem.  I sent MANY requests at the beginning of December.  Some attempted an initial contact, but disappeared in the early stages.  Others NEVER replied at all.  I'm down to one--Catering by Design.  Thankfully, their food is great, our contact (Tara) is super helpful, and their price is ALMOST perfect (we'll hopefully finish negotiating this weekend).  I'm sorry I'm not much help, but I hope it helps to hear that I had a similar problem.
  • Options
    Denver SarahDenver Sarah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ran into the same problem, but, like Patrize says, we stayed patient and eventually got some answers. We liked Tara at Catering by Design, too! Good food and very friendly.

We haven't made a final decision yet, but so far we really like Gourmet Fine Catering, Catering by Design and Spice of Life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I am also having trouble finding a caterer.  We are wanting BBQ-type food (pulled pork, brisket, salads, etc.) and we have a pretty low budget--we want to stay below $5000 (about $30 pp) for food for 150, service, fees, and rentals (placesettings, linens, and glassware).  We are bringing our own beer and wine, but would want to also have some juice/soda and coffee/tea.  Does this amount just seem totally unreasonable?? Has anyone worked with BBQ restaurants which might cater?  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Thanks!
  • Options
    kzagurskikzagurski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brothers BBQ advertises in a lot of the wedding publications I have. Have you tried them?
  • Options
    spongejenspongejen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    loveboat - try bennet's BBQ.  very good and their prices are quite reasonable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work for Boston Market and we have catering packages for weddings.  I'd had my heart set on using BM for my own wedding, but unfortunately couldn't find an affordable reception venue that allowed outside catering. :(  There's info on http://www.bostonmarket.com or I can give you more info if you're interested.  The prices of the full service buffet packages generally range from $16-$22 per person.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing BBQ for our RD and I got initial quotes from Famous Dave's and Brothers.  Both places seem to run between $10 and $12 per person.

(other) Sarah:  we just signed with CBD.  :)  I did NOT expect catering to be such a PIA!!  I'm so happy with our final choice, though.
  • Options
    AmyO.AmyO. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    loveboat- We had our wedding catered by Cabin Creek Smokehouse BBQ.  They are located up in Conifer - and delivered to our Evergreen reception location and they were a GREAT deal!   And I still get inquiries from people as to where the food was from.  Contact them and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed.  The food is seriously amazing and the couple that owns the place are very friendly and professional. 

www.cabin-creek-smokehouse-barbeque.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have two friends who used Brothers BBQ and everyone loved it.
    regarding non-bbq catering, I'm using Greens Point Catering and I love Susie. She responds right away and answers my 20 million questions (even helped me figure out a timeline for everything in the wedding), worked within my budget, and then my friend told me she used them at her wedding and I loved their food! They also brought extra decorations so their tables looked gorgeous and on top of that she also was very helpful in coordinating their day, coming over to tell them "ok, it's time to cut the cake now" etc. My wedding is May 30th so I can't say how it will all turn out but so far she's been awesome!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. I haven't come across Greens Point. I'll give them a shout.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had lots of gook luck with Footers Catering. Colbert was great! She pretty much bent over backwards to help me out and work with my budget.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing our reception at a hotel so i don't really have any advice.. But Famous Davids has really good food!! and they cater.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    weheartmelweheartmel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Alpine Chef in Colorado Springs. They are amazing!
    http://www.alpinechef.com/
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. I just wrote them. The most favorable so far is Picnic Basket/Celebrate Catering, also based out of the Springs. None of the Denver caterers have worked out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Continental Divine, Shannon was super responsive and I also second Colbert at Footers, she was amazing as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and in going through the list from our venue, there was Columbine catering and they specialized in bbq.  I didn't get prices since we are having a morning wedding, but maybe worth a shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards