South Asian Weddings
Options

Chicago recommendations?

Hey fellow desi gals! Does anyone have a recommendation for a hair/makeup person in Chicago? I had a trial with a non-indian makeup artist last week and it did not go well! My MoH finally talked me into going with an Indian for hair and makeup.

I'm unfortunately planning this long distance, otherwise I would have just hit up all the Devon places to figure out which one was best.

And as an aside, does anyone have venue recommendations in the city for a Sangeet?

Re: Chicago recommendations?

• Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI Suneeta,

I live in Chicago, but I haven't done my research for hair/makeup person in Chicago yet, and what I have seen in other brides (my cousin) I really didn't like, so I won't recommend them.  But there are a few Indian brides here from Chicago that can recommend their MUA. 

For the Sangeet, having it in downtown would be kind of expensive, but much cheaper in the Suburbs.  Where are you having your wedding?  I can recommend some places close by depending on that, if you have alot of OOT, it will be easier on them too. 

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi gals,
    I googled, and came across this lady -  she does makeup and hair!!:

http://www.soniasandhu.com/my-makeup-artist-services/

- Bridal traditional makeup + eyelashes = $125
    - Bridal airbrush makeup + eyelashes = $175
    - Bridal hair - $75

It looks like she does for wedding parties too, I didn't list that here.

I saw this person, but she only does makeup, but has a portfolio, and also doesn't post prices on her website: http://www.aaraishsalon.com/

And this person, who does makeup and mehendi, but not hair: http://www.mehendibyrajul.com/make_up.html

I hope it helps.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately Sonia Sandhu was booked on my date. Aaraish sounds interesting, I'll definitely check them out!

Hinaj - I'm having the wedding downtown, which is making the search for an affordable sangeet venue really difficult. We want it to be in the city so our OOTs won't have to rent cars, but our suburban families are VERY resistant to driving into the city and looking for parking. Seems like an impossible task!
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have the same problem Suneeta!!!  LOL.  I want our wedding downtown, and my whole family and everyone who is an older generation hates the idea, because its in downtown, parking, etc etc. 

Since our wedding and reception are in  downtown, I really didn't want to pay so much money for my mehndi/mayon so we are doing that in the suburbs.  We are having our guest stay in downtown, so we decided that we can get a bus or something to shuttle them from downtown to the suburbs for that day because I don't want them getting lost, or having to navigate their way for this.  It is like an hour worth of drive, that I rather not have them do, but because the cost would be so low in the suburbs, I can afford to pay for the transportation versus having it done downtown.  Although, I haven't found a place in downtown that I would actually like having it done in anyways.  LOL. 

Where in downtown are you getting married? hotel?  ALso, How far are you willing to travel out of downtown or is it strictly just downtown for the sangeet.  For the families that live here, I thought about getting a bus or something again on the other two days of the wedding and have them be shuttled back and forth, but I really don't want to pay for that, when all of them are familiar with the area and have their own cars. 
  • Options
    mbuhpathimbuhpathi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For makeup

Rahila Khan
    Rajul's Indian bridal makeup
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the parking problems - is there a hotel nearby that has a parking garage? Can you arrange parking or reserve spots in a garage for them?  Hmm... trying to google -
    How about http://www.millenniumgarages.com/ can you call them up and reserve spots?

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies! Hinaj, we're having it at the Rookery. it's a beautiful old building but tiny (by Indian standards). Luckily my fiance doesn't have a big family so we can fit. My first choice, however, was the Cultural Center. I LOVED it - particularly the mosaics, the tiffany dome stained glass, it was all gorgeous. The dates just didn't work out for us. If you need any advice on the downtown venues, let me know! I think I've seen all the non-hotel ones (as well as some of the hotels).

The big problem with parking has been that, while there are garages in downtown, the places are REALLY expensive. If you go farther from downtown, the places get cheaper but the chances of finding a garage go down. Hinaj, have you priced out shuttle buses?
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Suneeta, I just saw the pics for Rookery, they are amazing!!  I like the cultural center as well.  Please feel free to let me know about suggestions for the venues for non-hotel and/or hotel.  I have researched a ton on hotels in downtown, but not much of non-hotel venues and I don't want to miss out on some amazing place. 

Yeah, Parking will cost you an arm and a leg for sure especially in downtown.  If it was a hotel, they would have given a discount rate, but that is still a lot.  I haven't priced them out, but I have seen prices quoted to other brides on my local board.  I would suggest asking for recommendation from the ladies of the Chicago board and call them up and see what they can offer you. 

Also, I just thought about this, have you looked at the Union Station?  I don't recall the cost of it, but its in downtown.  I don't know if it is affordable.  If not, there are plenty of hotels/ and banquet halls in the suburbs that will fit your requirement. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hinaj - Cultural Center is definitely my favorite and the decor really lends itself to Indian weddings. It also fits a ton of people :) I also love the Murphy Auditorium. I love Garfield Park Conservatory, and it's also extremely cheap, but the party wouldhave to wrap up fairly early (by 11, I think). We were also considering the MCA but they have an exclusive catering contract with Wolfgang Puck and it can be very expensive. The MCA also has a warehouse - the MCA loft - if you're looking for more of a "raw' space. The Planetarium has breathtaking views and a really unique space, but I'm not sure what the capacity is and I recall it being quite expensive. Cafe Brauer is gorgeous but books up fast. This is a really great comprehensive list: http://www.chicagoweddingvenues.com/main/?cat=7

We looked at The Wit and were not impressed - the room has a bizarre, elongated shape. The views are fine but the shape would make for an awkward reception. If you have a ton of cash to drop, the Millennium Knickerbocker is gorgeous! Palmer House Hilton also has a beautiful ballroom and may be more affordable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi - I used Sonia Sandhu and she was amazing! 
    www.soniasandhu.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards