Catholic Weddings

HHS Mandate: Response from my DEMOCRAT senator, and my response to her

2»

Re: HHS Mandate: Response from my DEMOCRAT senator, and my response to her

• edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_hhs-mandate-response-from-my-democrat-senator-and-my-response-to-her?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ddba026-5b7d-49a9-a932-4a2dc1e92a2aPost:d3d71320-118c-4288-9706-0c94cb055d49">Re: HHS Mandate: Response from my DEMOCRAT senator, and my response to her</a>:
    [QUOTE]GoodLuckBear -- I am almost positive OP meant no disrespect by leaving "-ic" off the party title.  Honestly, I find it odd that you think that's disrespectful.  I guess I don't see anything offensive about it.  Please let me know if I'm missing something?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

In general, calling someone or something that is not the correct name is disrespectful.  If your name is Amanda and people insist on calling you Mandy (which you don't go by) that is disrespectful.

A few years ago, right leaning talk show hosts and political stategists began calling their opposition the "Democrat" party and members the "Democrat Senator/Congressman, etc" in an attempt to emphasize the "rat" at the end of it.  Most people who say "Democrat Party/Sen/ Rep. etc"  have no idea why it came into vogue on one side of the aisle to say it but they will never hear members of the party use it.

I'm aware that most people don't see it as a big deal but to me it is just another way of showing contempt for the other side during an honest discussion. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    Well, then if they really and truly don't want to be known as rats (instead of just finding ridiculous things to get offended about,), they should call themselves "Democratics." 
    Anniversary
  • Plus, I have no idea how "democrat" even emphasizes "rat." It sounds to me like it emphasizes "CRAT." 
    Anniversary
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012
    It's really pendantic. My husband, who works in politics has told me that though some have decided to make a point of the distinction, this is NOT a widely shared opinion amongst all Democrats.

And the OP meant absoultely no harm and no one in this thread has made nasty remarks regarding one party or the other, so we shouldn't get all nutso about this.
  • Heavens to betsy.

I certainly consciously meant no disrespect, though given how disgusted I was with her response, I may have unconsciously let that come through. 

Wink
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards