Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Off-the-Beaten-Path Venues?

Hello Brides-to-Be and congratulations!

My fiance, Brandon and I are looking for a venue for our ceremony and reception that's off the beaten Pittsburgh path. We're planning on getting married in October of 2011 and we're going for a fun, casual wedding. We just want to have a really great party. Smile But we want our wedding to be unique, an affair that's truly "us."

Any suggestions for an indie bride who can't seem to find just the right place?

Thanks in advance!
Maureen (and Brandon, too!)

Re: Off-the-Beaten-Path Venues?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any recommendations but welcome and congrats on your engagement!  The boards are generally slow on the weekends, so look on Monday for more responses!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many guests are you looking at?

As far as a unique venue, I can think of the Warhol museum and the Mattress Factory. The Zoo, Aviary, or Phipps are fun too! I'm sorry if these aren't as unique as you're thinking...I can be boring sometimes :p.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    deejandhildeejandhil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! My fiance and I just started planning our wedding, too, and I've gotten so much good advice from these boards already. Although sometimes I feel like I belong more on the offbeatbride.com web site than theknot.com, I wouldn't trade these boards for anything!

To add to the list: the Union Project, the Frick Art Museum, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, the Carnegie Museums, the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh...

My fiance and I just booked the Aviary for our June 2011 wedding, so I highly recommend there!  :)  It's not your standard ceremony/reception venue because guests can wander around in most of the exhibits, though there is an outdoor rose garden and patio where you can have a ceremony and dinner and dancing. You can also pay another $100 to $200 and an animal trainer will bring out a couple of the birds to show your guests!  :)
  • Options
    NJSLNJSL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While there are a lot of great out of the ordinary venues in PItt (we're gettin married at Heinz Field), our second choice was the Parador Inn (www.the<strong" rel="nofollow">www.the>>paradorinn.com).  It's a Carribean themed bed and breakfast a couple blocks behind Heinz Field and PNC Park.  Ed, the guy that runs it, was the nicest guy and a great story teller.  He had received a recommendation from the New York Times a year after he took it over.  I've never seen it mentioned on here, but everything about the place was absolutely incredible.  There are 11 guest rooms, a beautiful courtyard for the ceremony, we would have had the cocktail hour in the main mansion, then there's a ballroom seperate from the mansion that was gorgeous!  My FMIL fell in love the with place and is thinking about booking their rooms there when they come in for the wedding instead of staying at the hotel we block rooms at.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome! I don't have any other venue recs, but just wanted to say hi! :-) Your proposal story is very sweet!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!  I love the offbeat venues :)

There's also Jay Verno Studios and the Circuit Center.  I would have loved to do the Warhol Museum if my own wedding was a bit smaller!  We had an awesome rehearsal dinner and then dessert-and-wine reception at the Heinz History Center, which was also a great introduction to Pittsburgh for our many OOT guests because the entire museum was open to us.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    petey406petey406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to two wedding at the Zoo. Both were very nice and a lot of fun!

Beth
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards