Washington-Seattle
Options

Father-daugther dance

I'm having a hard time time figuring out the song.  Let me start by saying my dad and I aren't very close.  Not like I don't like him, we just aren't close.  I'm actually not very close with either of my parents.  My dad and I were pretty close when I was in middle school and high school due mainly to my mom and I fought a lot becuase of generational and cultural differences but then a couple family issues came up in my early twenties and our relationship hasn't been the same since. 

So, I thought a while ago I figured out a great song for us to dance to: Ben E King's "Stand By Me."  It's a song I grew up listening to, always loved it, and reminds me of being a kid.  I was talking with my dad about song selection this past weekend and he said Stand By Me was too overplayed.  I was like "What!??"  Apparently he thinks so because he has it as his ringtone! Oi!  And he has a list of songs that he plays for me, most of which I don't really like (he likes classic rock, I never got into it) except some of the songs from like the '50s but even most of those are like Love songs.  The only other song I really liked is My Girl, but to me, there's not really anything that stands out about it and it's commonly played as the Father-Daugther dance and I wanted something a bit different.

So, during this conversation, my mom mentions how she thought it would be nice for us to dance to Dolly Parton's "Jolene" which I was actually named after. *sigh* Mind you, English is not my mom's first language and I know she doesn't really grasp what the song is about.  Honestly, I've never really liked the song.  And it makes me feel awkward/uncomfortable/squirmish whenever I hear a song with my name, whether it's Dolly Parton, Cake, or Zac Brown Band.  In fact a few of my friends will sometimes just start singing Dolly's "Jolene" just to tease me/get to me.  I've gotten to the point where I'll finish the line, but...can't explain it.  

The more I think about it though, the more I'm just like "Whatever."  I mean, I WAS named after the song.  Although it is about a man-stealing woman with "flaming locks of auburn hair, ivory skin and eyes of emerald green."  Quite the opposite of how I am and look. ;)  Sooo....what do you guys think?  I'm just getting to the point where having one more thing checked off would be nice.   
Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
Married 7/10/10
Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
Anniversary

Re: Father-daugther dance

• Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't give up.  I think its important you like the song, and dad's OK w/ it too.  Songs are hard to pick b/c everyone has different taste.  It can take a while.

I am fairly close to my dad as an adult, but we had a very strained relationship growing up and we've never had a mushy kind of relationship.  I could never dance to something like Butterfly Kisses; it would be so wrong.  I plan to do one song w/ me and dad, FI and mom at same time, and cut it short if it gets akward.  I also like Stand By Me, Lean On Me, I'll Be There, I Hope You Dance, or Just The Way You Are.  The only ones FI likes is I'll Be There or Just The Way You Are.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Urgh, sorry. Are you guys doing a mother son dance? That is kind of the same situation I have with my dad. I just decided to combine the father/daughter and mother son and we used their song, which was Stand by Me. Be nice if you there was a search engine where you can search similar songs. Maybe check out Jeff Hill's top wedding songs list and you will be able to find something similar?
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry Jolene! I agree with PP, don't give up! You need to find a song both of you like!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, don't give up and don't use "Jolene." The subject matter isn't quite appropriate for a wedding and if you hate the song anyway, doesn't matter if you were named after it!
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    briandbry2010briandbry2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about a non mushy song? Like " isn't she Lovely" by Stevie Wonder. or look at this website
    http://www.a-weddingday.com/ultimateweddingmusic/fatherdaughterdance.html
    Visit Retro.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker 172 invitedimage 151 accepted!image 5 can't make itimage 16 haven't respondedimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'd skip that song too. I don't have any personal recs since I skipped that tradition, but I did find a link that might help:

http://offbeatbride.com/2007/06/non-sappy-fatherdaughter-dance-songs

You could also do an instrumental version of a song, so you don't have to even worry about lyrics.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone.  I'm gonna continue looking at other options.  I'm just getting tired of this checklist!!!
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's kind of sappy but one of the options on my list is Cinderella, by Steven Curtis Chapman. The other is a Korean folk song my dad sings all the time at karaoke.
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    alyssa324alyssa324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am in the same boat. We dont get along that well......he has been on again off again my whole life. I really love my little girl by  tim mcgraw. But when I hear it iit is the relationship I always wanted and he so doesnt deserve it. So i think i have settle on heartlands I loved her first. I was his little girl as a little girl so it is okay for us but still I will not be crying or emotionly attached to the song. Another song i thought about was you are the sunshine of my life by stevie wonder. Hang in there youll find something :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't settle! That would end up making you regret it later. You said you love 'Sugar Pie Honey Bunch'... what about that? It's more up tempo and if your dad likes older 50's stuff, he may like that song as well.
    I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it. I still haven't figured out a first dance song for FI and I! Not like he's helping matters.... grr!
    I hope you guys come to a decision that makes you both happy. Good luck!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    MrsH8172010MrsH8172010 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree if you hate the song you shouldn't use it.

I think we are using "I hope you dance" - by Le Ann Womack

It's a song I always love and it is appropriate.
    It is a little sappy, it probably will make me cry at my wedding but I don't think you have to be super close with your dad to use it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think I'd be a big fan of Jolene either, not because I don't like, but it sounds like you just don't want it!

If it helps you feel any better, my dad, very seriously, said he wanted to dance to Billy Idol "White Wedding" with me.

Yeah, no.

I hinted to my mom the other day that I want to dance with my dad to Louis Armstrong, "What a Wonderful World".
    Anniversary
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say keep trying.  Another idea is to maybe pick a song that you both like that isn't a father-daughtery song.  For example, maybe a Beatles song, or something universal?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're talking.  We might do something a bit different like Chubby Checker's "Let's do the twist."  I took a few 50's dance lessons in middle school and enjoyed the style and my dad knows a few moves - we might meet up with an instructor for a couple times to get a refresher.  We'll see. :)
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH that would be fun! I love doing the twist :)
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of a 1950s twist! That sounds really really cute and different. ^^
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would be so cute and original.  Love it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't settle. Meh. I kind of wish we would have skipped that part... since I made the mistake of letting my dad pick ANY song he wanted for it... and I got stiffed with Sunshine on my Shoulders...

I love the twist idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards