New Jersey - South

Saying Mom and Dad...

After you are married will you/do you call your inlaws Mom and Dad?

Re: Saying Mom and Dad...

• Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I already have a Mom and a Dad, so definitely first names.

• edited December 2011
    I agree. When I first meet FI parents it was in high school and they have always been Mr. & Mrs. to me. I tried switching over to their first names but when it came out, it sounded so weird! I feel awkward calling them Mr. & Mrs. at the wedding so I need to get used to this, I guess.
  • delia5588delia5588 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I call them by their first names and always have.

Anniversary
  • Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I started calling them Mom and Dad once we got engaged. It was definitely weird. It's been a year and I'm sort of getting better.
  • edited December 2011
    I have always called my in-laws by their first names and will continue to after we are married. We have a good, but wierd relationship though, I am just not comfortable with "mom" & "dad".
  • lmparlettlmparlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL cutely referred to herself in an email as "Mama Scott," once, so I use that for cards and stuff... but in person I call them by their names.
    Photobucket Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I keep asking FI about this.  He calls my parents Mr & Mrs.  I call his mom by her first name and his dad Mr.  I know his dad doesnt want to be called Mr, but I'm not comfortable calling him dad and he and FI have the same first name!  Eventually I'll probably just ask them bluntly what they want to be called.

Good question demarcos!
  • edited December 2011
    Once we were engaged I started calling them Mama G and Papa G.
    In private I have another name for my MIL Tongue out
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • VanessaB24VanessaB24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been calling them mom and dad a while now even before we got engaged. Fi's stepmom is the one that said i could call her that so i started to and its not weird. I call his grandma "grandma" If they feel comfortable with me saying it then i feel comfortable. Plus i call my mom "mama, or ma" and my dad i call dad. Fi calls my mom mom and my dad by his first name.
  • edited December 2011
    like i called them mr and mrs when i first started going out with the FI but like i dont really call them anything  right now she wants me to call her mom but i cant do it  like my FI's bros girlfriend they have been going out for a month and she calls her mom already im like holy crap i dont even call her mom and ive practically known these ppl for more than 3 yrs lol
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think I will ever be able to call them mom and dad. I call them by their first name, and it works for us.  I used to call them Mr and Mrs, but after we got engaged I switched. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am sorry but I already have a mama! lol. However, I don't know if I will do first name basis or continue to call her Mrs. XXXX..... I just feel like she isn't my mother, didn't raise me, and didn't sacrifice for me. Maybe that's a bit intense, but hey! I am cracking up at you NJGAL26.....your "other name for your MIL in private" comment was hilarious. A big smile flashed across my face. Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards