Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Catholic Priest at Reception-Where to seat him???

My fiance is just finishing completing the RCIA program this week (receiving communion and being confirmed Catholic in the church we have both been attending for years). We are close with our Priest and know he will be doing our ceremony. We are inviting him to the reception and I am assuming he will accept the invitation. The only problem is I dont know where to seat him... Our families go to different churches so they do not know him well and we cant afford to invite all the people we know from church to the reception (because that would spiral into way too many more people). I have absolutely no idea what table to put him at!! I really dont want him to feel awkward sitting with random people.. please help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic Priest at Reception-Where to seat him???

• If he does accept, seat him the same way you would seat any other guest. Does he know people at the wedding? Are there people you think he would get along well with? Think about those things and seat him accordingly. Generally, priests are accustomed to situations where they don't know everyone, but know how to socialize on their own.

Some of the girls on the Catholic board have said that priests don't like being seated with the grandparents, and would prefer people who are closer to their age/share their interests/etc. Just some food for thought.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! I actually didnt even realize there was a Catholic Board :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If there is nobody else at the reception that the priest will know, then seat him with people you think he will find interesting.  It would be nice if they were in the same age group or shared some interests.   Priests are good at making conversation with people they don't know very well :-)
    DSC_9275
  • I would seat him with people he knows. Being a priest he also has to have people skills, so if he does not know a few people he will be fine. Enjoy your day. I spent so much time planning every second of my first wedding. I don't even remember the reception.
  • i replied to you on CW.
    i had planned to seat ours at my mom's table.
  • We'll probably seat the deacon and his wife at FIL's table.  FI's grandfather and he should get along, I would think.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-priest-reception-seat-him?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:398ac551-cd88-4157-a4ac-60ab4fbc152aPost:210a6019-d8f4-4436-bf87-ad9721b1a629">Re: Catholic Priest at Reception-Where to seat him???</a>:
    [QUOTE]If there is nobody else at the reception that the priest will know, then seat him with people you think he will find interesting.  It would be nice if they were in the same age group or shared some interests. <strong>  Priests are good at making conversation with people they don't know very well :-)</strong>
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Amen!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards