Gay Weddings

photographer question

So here's the deal...

We are getting married in September next year. We got the venue, I got my dress & we think we have the caterer.. Now it's on to the photographer and I need your opinions girls... and guys 

Photographer 1) He's very LGBT friendly (has worked with gays & lesbians before & also has a few gay & lesbian friends)  Through email... he seems SUPER nice on email and he corresponds very quickly with me. Price is good! He is $100 more than Photographer 2... The price includes all photos on disc, and 4 hours of photography.

Photographer 2) I have just emailed this company and I only know the pricing... its $100 less than Photographer 1 and they inculde: 4 hours, 300 photos on disc, 100 5x7s, and album.

CLEARLY....Photographer 2 is the better choice with what he/she offers... and pricing and such. Photographer 1 has more "interesting" photos, not the usual cookie cutter pics... but still does those cause who doesn't like a few of those right? :)

Anyway, I am more comfortable to hire photographer 1 because he's completely fine with gays & lesbians.. And these are very intimate pictures that will be taken. I just don't know what to do!!!

Do I spend about $250-300 more on a photographer that I like a lot more? ((i would probably spend that much more if I were to buy the same amount of pics & an album) Or spend less... with this other company?

Everyone has their own budget... and ours is small. We aren't trying to spend more than $12k-$13k on the whole wedding. So cost is a big thing! But being comfortable is also very important, obviously...

Just need your thoughts ladies & gentlemen... let me know, please! It would be greatly appreciated :)

THANKS!
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers White Knot

Re: photographer question

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with #1. As you wrote it it seem's they'll take an unlimited # of pics in 4 hours and give you all of them on CD, which you can then print yourself as many copies as you want - and frankly really high quality photos look fine printed at home. #2 you're only getting 300 photos, that's less than 100 photos/hour, which isn't much. Plus you're more comfortable with #1, I say it's worth the extra couple hundred dollars for the number of photos and peace of mind.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    kcullen... you're so right! 300 pictures really isnt a lot. not how most photographers take pics.

others on the other boards said make a choice after i meet the both of them, but you're right...

Thank you!!! And congrats to you & your fiance! I wish there was more of us out there! Are you going to get married in mass? or come to DC? We are going to try to get to DC soon. We are right on the outside of DC, about 35 minutes away. So once we do that... it will be official, then we'll have the big ceremony & reception in Sept! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers White Knot
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to you and your Fi too Marie!! Yeah it's too bad this board is so dead, I check it from time to time, but there's hardly any posts here.

We're actually getting our civil union in NJ, hopefully our state will wake up soon and change the law and make it civil marriage, but we're calling it a wedding/marriage anyway, we don't care what the law says. We're having a very traiditonal wedding ceremony and reception on June 4, 2011 and cannot wait to celebrate that day with family and friends. We both just ordered our gowns this past weekend and booked our photographer/videographer as well, it should be great!

Happy planning to you and your FI - congrats again :)

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with #1, you get unlimited pictures and you know that he is comfortable with LGBT.  I still have to find a photo and that is one of my fears.
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_photographer-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:da191e08-cdb4-4ec3-a4c4-42767cd074ebPost:de2eff72-7a43-4074-ace4-2b66eb1fec57">Re: photographer question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go with #1, you get unlimited pictures and you know that he is comfortable with LGBT.  I still have to find a photo and that is one of my fears.
    Posted by lilmermaid1582[/QUOTE]

Hey lilmermaid - Are you having your wedding in NJ? I can reccomend a couple that we met with. One's rather pricey, but even features two lesbian weddings on his website (<a href="http://www.mattraineyweddings.com/">http://www.mattraineyweddings.com/</a>) and takes breathtaking pictures, he was out of our budget so we went with a larger studio and the girl we met with in their Fairfield office was really nice (<a href="http://www.abellastudios.com/">http://www.abellastudios.com/</a>).

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married in NJ, we booked the church, and reception location and next on the list is the photographer.  I will check out both of those, we are on a really tight budget.  We ended up spending a little more on the reception place than we wanted to so everything else is going to have to be cut a little.  Where in NJ are you getting married?
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Abella then, they have some really good packages and prices, that's why we booked them. The other guy is AMAZING and if money were no object I'd book him, but he was really expensive.

We're having our ceremony and reception at The Imperia in Somerset - where's your reception?

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    we are at the Radisson in Freehold
  • edited December 2011
     I understand budget is budget - when we were choosing our photographer, I thought I could find someone I loved for $1000. Then I discovered that really this would cost more like $3000 to get what I wanted. So we splurged on our photographer and have no regrets whatsoever. We will enjoy these gorgeous images for the rest of our lives. 

Quality photography these days typically runs in the $3000 range and sometimes a lot more  - of course this also depends on the style of photography that you prefer. So a few hundred dollars difference when you are comparing photographers will not make much of a difference in the end. You need to go with your gut and go with someone you click with. 
  • Heather8505Heather8505 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with number 1.  I paid a deposit to a photographer that gave more for the money but that I was not as comfortable with and have now decided that I don't like them.  That means I am out my deposit PLUS what the new photographer costs.  Def go with who you like more if it's only a hundred or two difference.
    me and my two men image
  • dmegandmegan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try finding something that will offer you a Photographer, Video, and DJ. That's what we're going with, and they do such an AMAZING job. We are getting the DJ for 6 hours, photo/video and 2 assistants for 8 hours, we are also getting 3 Wedding albums (we get to design out own) all for $6,300. It is a little pricey, but if you get all three seperately, you are more likely to be paying an awful lot more. Just a thought! Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    photos are one of the few things that you have after the day is over. go for #1 if you are more comfortable with them and their work. it is so important to have a photographer which you are comfortable with or your pictures will work awkward and staged. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a photographer myself, I can tell you that it is really important that you are comfortable with your photographer. It will show in your photographs if you are not.
    So my vote is for photographer number one. Not to mention that getting all of your images vs. just 300 is really important. I've never understood photographers that limit the number of images that they give. I mean if there are 320 amazing photos, are they just going to discard the other 20 so that you are only getting what you paid for? its just odd.....
  • edited December 2011
    Hello all,

I am the owner and photographer of Prism Pixels a LGBT-exclusive Wedding Photography Studio in Boston, MA. One of the reasons I started the business is to offer the LGBT Community affordable photography. Please take a look at my website and feel free to email me with any questions. www.prismpixels.com

-Sara-
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards