Canada-Ontario

Canadian Etiquette Question

Hey all,
I'm originally from England and the FI is from Canada. We're getting married in Canada and I have an etiquette question.

In England it's normal to include a card with the wedding invitation showing the shop where you are registered for gifts. Is that normal here? I don't want to come across as "gift grabby".
Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Canadian Etiquette Question

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually these cards are given out in shower or party invitations, since the purpose of these is to give gifts.  There are two sides to putting registry information in wedding invitations themselves.  I didn't do it myself - instead I put an insert card with a link to our wedding website, where registry information, among other things, could be found.  I found this was a better way to approach registries and gift giving.  Most people ask you anyway at some point throughout your engagement so that they can buy gifts.  

Other brides believe that it's fine to put your registry cards in your invitations, and it is done more and more lately.  I've probably had 25% of friends include them when I received invites, and it wasn't a big deal.

So ultimately - it's up to you!  If you do it in England, and at least half of your guests are from there I'm assuming anyway, you can probably feel free to do it as well, as long as you are comfortable with it!  Hope that helps! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the above.

Many brides do not send out any information, but choose to spread it via word of mouth.

I will include the registry info. in my shower invitations only and have told my bridesmaids and family to tell people who ask that we prefer cash, but are also registered. 

Remember, your guests are friends and family and so I highly doubt that anyone that close to you and your fiance would think less of either of you because of one piece of paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Littlin.

Although it is considered poor etiquette to put registry info in an invitation, I personally wouldn't care if it's included. 

For us it will be in the shower invitations and by word of mouth after that.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are many North Americans that consider it a grave breach of etiquette. I'd err on the side of caution and not include them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think that it is proper to include the registry card in the wedding invitation.

Maybe it would be more acceptable in the bridal shower invitation, but even then it seems a little forward.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well traditionally, the purpose of a shower IS to give gifts, actually if you really read into etiquette, the shower is the only time where gifts are expected, not for the wedding itself or any other party.  

Of course things have adapted with time, and we give gifts for almost every wedding event now, but it shouldn't be expected.  Just count yourself lucky - this is such a fun time in your life and people are incredibly generous!
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never seen a registry card with a wedding invitation. I have heard of others receiving these. The couple of people that did receive this, considered it tacky. It may, in some cases, have to do with cultural backrounds. In some cultures, money is usually given.
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm.. not sure.  I've only received the registry cards with shower invitations.  That said, we also put a link to it on our wedding website so if anyone wants to take a look at it they can.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• edited December 2011
    We're not putting them in the invitations as I don't want the first interaction with guests to include info about what gifts we would like.  I think it's fine to include in the shower invitations, but I personally wouldn't want to take a chance my guests are the ones who would be offended or find it tacky.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't gift suggestions in our invites however we did mention it on our website as well people found out what kind of gifts we prefer through word of mouth of our parents/bridal party.

I have received invitations with "monetary gifts preferred" or a registry card inside. I wasn't appalled by it but as mentioned before, it's up to you.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just because people do it doesn't mean it's not against etiquette.

There shouldn't be any mention of gifts in your wedding invitations.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards