Just Engaged and Proposals

XP: Blue Nile or James Allen

I've been searching for loose diamonds and found that both Blue Nile and James Allen have good reputations.  Has anyone used them?  What were your experiences?

Re: XP: Blue Nile or James Allen

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_xp-blue-nile-james-allen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:901e7908-1e03-4a47-b960-8ca15bc88babPost:af1826e5-6583-4e8b-97e6-4b064f64810b">XP: Blue Nile or James Allen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been searching for loose diamonds and found that both Blue Nile and James Allen have good reputations.  Has anyone used them?  What were your experiences?
    Posted by purplepeopleeater11[/QUOTE]

I got my setting from James Allen & diamond from a local family store (better deal). I love my setting from JA. Good price & good quality.  I really like how James Allen will sell just the setting. Blue Nile won't let you buy only the setting- I don't know if they sell just the diamond. Have you looked into White Flash? It is a really good site too.

Have you lurked/posted on pricescope.com? Great site to learn about getting a good ring & diamond for a good price. I was clueless about diamonds & it made me realize that I was a hearts & arrow girl.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • edited October 2010
    Between the two, I'd choose James Allen because they have super-magnified images of each diamond they sell, and their TrueHearts diamonds also have an idealscope image. Blue Nile only has "sample photos" and for that reason I wouldn't feel comfortable buying from them.

I also like Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Jewelers, and Good Old Gold.  All are online and include photos and very in-depth information on their diamonds.
    weddingcollage
  • Blue Nile does sell loose stones.  I like that James Allen has the actual pictures too.  I'll check on white flash and pricescope.  Unfortunately the jeweler we are looking at charges about $1000 more on average for a stone with the same four C's than James Allen or Blue NIle.

Thanks again for the advice/input!  I greatly appreciate it!
  • James Allen gets my vote. No two diamonds, even of the same grade, are the same....BN doesn't keep any diamonds in stock and orders them based on waht you order so you will get the rating you asked for but you won't know the exact diamond, while JA has the diamonds in stock and with the real pictures you get to see exactly what you're buying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards