African American Weddings
Options

Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?

My FI is really putting his foot down about this no alcohol thing (despite my protests...) but we are still having hors d'oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages for guests between the ceremony and reception (ceremony and reception are at two different locations and we are going to another location for pictures). What can we call this period of time since there won't be any cocktails? I was thinking "social hour" but that doesn't sound exactly right to me... help please? TIA

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?

• Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you can still call it cocktail hour, even though you will be having non-alcoholic cocktails. Maybe just let your guests know in advance that it will be a dry reception
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dry-reception-name-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8ca9d8f7-0071-4a55-adba-94f9168e1f7ePost:774e5b0c-a416-492e-9bc1-2ae6545d0160">Re: Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can still call it cocktail hour, even though you will be having non-alcoholic cocktails. Maybe just let your guests know in advance that it will be a dry reception
    Posted by hatroopes[/QUOTE]

Exactly!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like the PP said, it would still be called a cocktail hour.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh ok.. so how do I put in my invites that it will be a non-alcoholic cocktail hour?

• Options
    EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mocktail Hour?

I am also having a dry reception because my parents (who are paying for the wedding) do not drink. Even so we are still calling it cocktail hour. I don't like to see dry reception on the invite so we are opting not to. However, I agree that you should notify your guests in advance. In my case most of my guests already know it's dry because my dad is an associate pastor and it comes with the territory and for the those who don't my FI and I are telling people by word of mouth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would keep cocktail hour, Will there be a cash bar for those who wish to drink? I would put it on the wedding website not on the invite
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!

@Esquire: We don't drink and I am also a PK (preacher's kid) so I feel like people should expect it knowing us but idk...

@ M1ssJ: We are not doing a cash bar either... but there is a bar in the lobby of our reception venue that they could always go to...but hopefully they won't feel the need to do so... and putting it on the website is a good idea... thanks!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Am I the only PK that is having a bar? My daddy protested it and finally just put his foot down that he will not pay for it.

I am in the minority, but I wouldn't call it cocktail hour. Cocktails to me means alcohol. I don't see anything wrong with social hour, but I also think mocktail hour is cute.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dry-reception-name-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:8ca9d8f7-0071-4a55-adba-94f9168e1f7ePost:61f4edc4-5882-49a5-9593-89181cd2603e">Re: Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only PK that is having a bar? My daddy protested it and finally just put his foot down that he will not pay for it. I am in the minority, but I wouldn't call it cocktail hour. Cocktails to me means alcohol. I don't see anything wrong with social hour, but I also think mocktail hour is cute.
    Posted by eagles347[/QUOTE]

Girl... my parents wouldn't pay for it either and FI is just soooo set against it! If it weren't for him we would be having one and watching the church folk get a little loose... (I am still working on him though maybe I can change his mind).

• Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dry-reception-name-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:8ca9d8f7-0071-4a55-adba-94f9168e1f7ePost:61f4edc4-5882-49a5-9593-89181cd2603e">Re: Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only PK that is having a bar? My daddy protested it and finally just put his foot down that he will not pay for it. I am in the minority, but I wouldn't call it cocktail hour. Cocktails to me means alcohol. I don't see anything wrong with social hour, but I also think mocktail hour is cute.
    Posted by eagles347[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope you're not! I'm a PK also and we're having alcohol at our wedding. I haven't actually talked to my dad about it - hopefully he won't object too strongly. If he does, I'll get my mom to back me up cos she loves her cocktails every now and then lol.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It wasn't even a convo in my household and honestly I don't think I want to see the church folk loose. I've seen them "loosed in the spirit" and that's more than enough for me. LOL!

I have been to lots of dry receptions and they can be pretty boring with all the speeches and the DJ blaring "Shackles" and the "Cha Cha Slide" so for my reception I decided to take it old school and I'm having an instrumental jazz band playing standards and oldies (think Etta and Duke) mixed with some gospel jazz.
    The lack of alcohol is also the reason why I am having a morning wedding so people feel less compelled to "party" and just socialize. I know I sound like an old lady but my FI aren't party people and the last thing I want is to make anyone uncomfortable, especially me.

Sweets don't pressure your FI too much because you can have your cocktails and get loose later (that's what I plan to do) ; )

P.S. Your planning bio is fab. I just peeked at it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i THINK i HAVE DRINKS AND HOR 'D HOURVERS (SP?) ON MY INVITE. I FIGURED WITH OUT THE WORD COCKTAILS THEY SHOULD GET THE POINT.
    (SORRY FOR THE CAPS)
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dry-reception-name-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8ca9d8f7-0071-4a55-adba-94f9168e1f7ePost:06a139dc-ac3c-4838-b84a-1bf01a0b7864">Re: Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It wasn't even a convo in my household and honestly I don't think I want to see the church folk loose. I've seen them "loosed in the spirit" and that's more than enough for me. LOL! I have been to lots of dry receptions and they can be pretty boring with all the speeches and the DJ blaring "Shackles" and the "Cha Cha Slide" so for my reception I decided to take it old school and <strong>I'm having an instrumental jazz band playing standards and oldies (think Etta and Duke)</strong> mixed with some gospel jazz. The lack of alcohol is also the reason why I <strong>am having a morning wedding so people feel less compelled to "party" and just socialize.</strong> I know I sound like an old lady but my FI aren't party people and the last thing I want is to make anyone uncomfortable, especially me. Sweets don't pressure your FI too much because you can have your cocktails and get loose later (that's what I plan to do) ; ) P.S. Your planning bio is fab. I just peeked at it.
    Posted by EsquireJL[/QUOTE]

I am doing the same thing! We're having a jazz brunch. We are having mimosas and poinsettas but its prettty hard to get too loose on that. It's such a compromise between my momma and I!
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_dry-reception-name-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:8ca9d8f7-0071-4a55-adba-94f9168e1f7ePost:f186f0c5-4290-49ca-a90f-ad3166324049">Re: Dry Reception... Name for Cocktail Hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i THINK i HAVE DRINKS AND HOR 'D HOURVERS (SP?) ON MY INVITE. I FIGURED WITH OUT THE WORD COCKTAILS THEY SHOULD GET THE POINT. (SORRY FOR THE CAPS)
    Posted by TNMurray[/QUOTE]

I like that! I think I will use that in an effort to be completely clear! Thanks!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sweets... I know I'm Waaaaay late on this one.. but I've been really busy at work and havent had time to do my daily checkins... I would go ahead and leave the cocktail hour in place as it is... with party punch and what-have-you... but I personally wouldnt inform the guests of anything.... for what??? Why would they need to know what types of beverages you are serving?  If you have those that desire mixed drinks or liquors... they are perfectly entitled to purchase some AFTER your event... and I wouldnt put any type of verbiage on my invitations either... I just think thats kinda tacky... and just not necessary... Please dont be offended...these are just MY opinions about this circumstance... I'd leave the cocktail hour in place as it is... and keep it movin'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards