New York-Hudson Valley

A few questions

1) Did you attend your or are you planning to attend your cocktail hour?

2) For those married....At your reception did you go around to greet all your guests at the tables?  Those getting married do you plan on doing that?

3)  Where did you put your card box and how did you guests know that's where the cards should go? .. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I just haven't been to a wedding where the's been a card box and now I have one Kiss
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A few questions

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    1) We joined it about halfway through. We weren't taking pictures or anything, it was just really nice to be in the calm, quiet bridal party room for a few minutes. They brought us all the food and drinks that we wanted in there and we just chilled for a little bit.

2) We did go around to tables. We had a receiving line at the church and mingled during the last half of the cocktail hour, but to make sure we got to anyone who skipped the ceremony, we visited tables as well.  We made it to 2 or 3 tables during each of the dinner courses.

3) The card box generally goes near your head/sweetheart table. The venue will set it up. I've never been at a wedding that didn't have a cardbox so I know that's where it always is. If people don't see your card box they may hand you a card or two - just ask someone to drop them in the box for you.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    We were only apart of our cocktail hour for a few mins.We had to take the pictures of us togeather since we didnt have enough time before the ceremony.

Yes we did go around to each and every table to say thank you.

For our card box i had a big table set up with an arch that had wedding bell tissue paper going around it & i had chocolate wedding coins spread out around the table.The guests couldnt miss it..
  • edited December 2011
    1) Did you attend your or are you planning to attend your cocktail hour?  yes we did, not right away, we ate a bit of the food they brought into the bridal suite and then we went out and mingled during the cocktail hour

2) For those married....At your reception did you go around to greet all your guests at the tables?  Those getting married do you plan on doing that?  Yes we did, we did it right as after we got announced and did the mother/son father/daughter dances,  we had a break and they were going to start serving salad, so we made our way around and knocked it all out of the way before the pasta entree came out

3)  Where did you put your card box and how did you guests know that's where the cards should go? .. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I just haven't been to a wedding where the's been a card box and now I have one

We put the card box on a table to the side of our own table near the cake, We didnt make an annoucnement or anything, most ppl saw it and when we went around to the tables we got a bunch of cards which we dropped into the box,
  • ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

1) Did you attend your or are you planning to attend your cocktail hour?  No.  The plan was to attend it but we were taking pictures and the weather wasnt cooperating so we ended up not getting in there.  But the plan was to be there for at least half of it.  We (DH and I) only got to shove down two things in the bridal suite...but I know the BP got to be in there alot more.

2) For those married....At your reception did you go around to greet all your guests at the tables?  Those getting married do you plan on doing that?  We had a receiving line after the ceremony so did most of it then but did go to a few tables to chat with those we don't see all the time.

3)  Where did you put your card box and how did you guests know that's where the cards should go? .. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I just haven't been to a wedding where the's been a card box and now I have one Kiss   It was behind our sweetheart table.  I have seen them at weddings before so i can't speak for my guests but if i remember corretly, some may have given their envelope to my mom or the BM and they put them in there.  I was handed a few.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    1) I plan to be at at least half of cocktail hour. We'll be taking family pictures for part of it.

2) We will not be doing a receiving line, and we definitely plan on going to all the tables.

3) We'll be having a card box, but it won't be marked. I'm not sure yet, but it may be on our "guest book" table, which we are opting to have in the reception area, rather than cocktail area.  Many times I've seen bird cages and guests had no idea that they were supposed to put their cards in there, but in my experience, that's what is used most often.
  • carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any input but boy AM I GLAD you posted this .  I was wondering about attending my cocktail hour too . I'm sooo happy to see so many other brides and grooms do that !  :)
  • edited December 2011
    1) Did you attend your or are you planning to attend your cocktail hour?  No.  We had our own private cocktail house in the bridal suite. It gave dh and I a chance to be alone and talk. They brough all the food upstairs.. 

2) For those married....At your reception did you go around to greet all your guests at the tables?  Those getting married do you plan on doing that?  We had a receiving line after the ceremony and we went around to the table right before cake. DH also said a few words

3)  Where did you put your card box and how did you guests know that's where the cards should go? .. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I just haven't been to a wedding where the's been a card box and now I have one Kiss   It was behind our sweetheart table.  Pic below

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for posting this I was thinking about the same questions!

As for the receiving line or table visiting, I really don't want to waste most of my wedding going around and thanking people, especially because our wedding guest list is at 325 right now... that will take me the whole night! Is it tacky to do the receiving line at church and thank everyone over the mic with DH while the salad is served?
    October 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We stayed in the bridal suite for a little after takinog pictures, and then went to cocktail hour, howver I didnt see my husband during it! LOL

2) For those married....At your reception did you go around to greet all your guests at the tables?  Those getting married do you plan on doing that?

We had a recieving line at the church. And during the dfirst 2 courses we went around to all 35 tables!

3)  Where did you put your card box and how did you guests know that's
     where the cards should go? ..

Ours was on the floor near the our table. Some people just saw it and put cards in it, most handed us our cards

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our plan was to attend most of it - I think we got there about 15-20 minutes into it. It was a whirlwind, barely got any food, was just sort pulled by one person or another and then all of a sudden it was time to line up for intros. Luckily, we had a Bridal Suite with some of the food, so I pigged out on those while we waited for our guests to be seated in the ballroom

We didn't plan to (we did a receiving line at the church). But we wound up stopping by a few of the tables with guests that we didn't see on the dance floor(older relatives). In hindsight, I almost wish we hadn't done this, because one of the tables was like "you didn't come to our table!". I guess they thought we were doing that when we stopped at the other 1 or 2?

3)  Where did you put your card box and how did you guests know that's where the cards should go? .. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I just haven't been to a wedding where the's been a card box and now I have one.
    We had a table with the cardbox in the middle and people left gifts on the table, or put cards in the box. It was next to our cake table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards