Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wear engagment ring during ceremony?

Are you wearing your engagement ring during your wedding ceremony? If so, which hand are you wearing it on?

I think I want to wear my e-ring on my left hand, and then switch the order of the rings once the ceremony is over with, but I want to hear from other Knotties! What are you doing?

Re: Wear engagment ring during ceremony?

• I wore my e-ring on the left hand. H put the band on during the ceremony, and I switched them around right before photos.
  • My e-ring was my FI's grandfather's wedding ring, so I'm going to return it to FMIL right before the ceremony.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I had it easy.  First wedding, e-ring stayed on my left hand.  In the Jewish ceremony, the wedding ring is put onto the right index finger, not the left ring finger.  After the ceremony, I just switched the rings around.

Second wedding was even easier, since we elected not to have e-rings.

However, you can really do it however you want.  Some people leave the e-ring on the left ring finger, put the wedding ring on over it, then switch them around later.  Some people don't wear the e-ring at all for the wedding.  Some people wear the e-ring on the right hand for the ceremony.  And some people do a little ceremony in which the groom puts first the wedding ring and then the engagement ring on, with a little speech about how the e-ring is the original promise of love, and the wedding ring is the fulfillment of that promise.
  • I think it is really personal preference.  Unfortunately, my e-ring won't fit on my right hand.  So I plan on giving it to my MOH or my mom, not quite sure yet.  I will put it on immediately after the ceremony.  If I could wear it, I probably would!!
  • My e-ring won't fit on my right hand either. I'm going to wear it on my left hand and switch it later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will wear my e-ring on my right hand before the ceremony and after.  My wedding ring belong to my FI Mom who passed away almost 20 years ago.  It already has the ring guards, so an e-ring really doesn't go with it.  We picked my e-ring so it would be suitable as a "right hand ring" after we were married.
    Anniversary
  • We switched it during the ceremony.  He put on my wedding ring, I put on his, then he took the engagement ring off my right hand (the pinky, since it couldn't be removed gracefully from my right ring finger) and put it over the wedding band.  I actually forgot to switch it to my right hand before the ceremony, and so did it surreptitiously before we got to the ring exchange.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I switched my e-ring to my right hand right before the ceremony and left it there, actually. It doesn't feel comfortable with my band on my left and since I lost weight it fits my right hand better. I couldn't imagine not wearing it at all, and I would have wanted the significance of FI/DH placing the ring on my finger 'closest to my heart' and not taking it off again. The only time I've taken off the band since the wedding DH has put it back on for me :)
  • I wore it on my left hand during the ceremony and switched it without even thinking at the end while we were still in front of everyone.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My FI and I had my wedding band soldered with the engagement band, so does that mean I just take it off and he'll put the ring on at the ceremony?  After reading this post, I thought I would hear some people who said they had theirs soldered...was I wrong to have it soldered before the wedding?
  • I am brand new to these boards and going to be looking for alot of answers! What order do the rings go on after being married? E-ring on first then the wedding band or vice versa? Thanks in advance for any help and congrats to all the fellow brides to be!
    <3 Tamara
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wear-engagment-ring-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:1686db19-0e82-449b-8ab8-6758379d1015Post:9e8d331c-1ab3-454f-b7e8-a939bc056257">Re: Wear engagment ring during ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am brand new to these boards and going to be looking for alot of answers! What order do the rings go on after being married? E-ring on first then the wedding band or vice versa? Thanks in advance for any help and congrats to all the fellow brides to be! <3 Tamara
    Posted by MommySalami0529[/QUOTE]

I have seen it done both ways.  However, it was explained to me that the wedding ring goes on first so it is closest to your heart.  The e-ring goes on after. 
    Anniversary
  • I'm just going to wear my e-ring as usual, then switch the order after.

I don't want to take it off, and even now when it's about a size too big it doesn't fit my right hand (I can get it on, but it's tight!), so after I get it sized it definitely won't go on.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • My answer is confusing.  I am wearing my e-ring on my Right hand for the ceremony, but that is were I always wear it.  I will switch them sometime later. 

I have awesome webbed fingers on my Left hand and can't wear my e-ring there :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will wear my e-ring on my left hand and switch them later.  I'm wearing my grandmother's wedding ring on my right hand that day as my "something old" otherwise I would wear the e-ring on my right hand. 

I'd thought about not wearing my e-ring at all so that my left hand could be bare for when he puts on the wedding ring.  FI was sad that I wouldn't be wearing it but understood why I wanted to wear my grandmother's ring.  After think about it, I decided to heck with it and will just wear the e-ring on my left hand.
  • I wore my e-ring on my right hand.  Then added it to the left after the ceremony.  I wanted the significance of DH putting the w-band on, saying the vows, and having it be closest to my heart.  We didn't do a lot of stuff traditionally, but that is something I really wanted.

I'm not quite sure it matters, so do whatever is most comfortable for you.
    Photobucket

Anniversary

• My e ring is a sapphire band and my wedding ring is a larger, saphire surrounded by diamonds  and they really don't mesh at all- plus the rings wont fit together. So, my e ring will be off and tucked away safely.
    Realistic Idealist Extrordinaire Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Updated 9/28/10
    Planning Bio
  • I am wearing a ruby ring gifted to me by my grandparents as a baby on my right hand (as my something old), so I decided to leave my e-ring on and switch them.  Otherwise, I'd be moving it to the right hand (where it's too big - doesn't seem to be a big problem with the other ladies, more the other way around, likely due to being left handed).  I'll switch when it's over.  No big deal.
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • I wore my ring during the ceremony on my right hand (later with the wedding over it) and didn't switch it to my right.
  • I have received a promise ring when we were 3 years dating. That is now on my right hand.  I am having my rings soldered together prior, but I am fine with that I just won't be wearing my e-ring for a few days b/c I agree that you shouldn't wear your wedding band before you get married. My band and the band on my e-ring look like chain link and they fit perfectly together, and since we will still be able to get the discount on getting them soldered together 2 weeks before the ceremony thats what I am opting for. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I plan on wearing it on my left I was actually thinking of slipping it off right before the "exchanging of the rings" and then putting it back on after.....it doesn't fit on my right and I will be wearing a family ring on that one anyway....but idk I might just change the order at the end now after reading these....
  • Oh wow... I always thought you just wear it on the left hand like you have been since you were engaged? That is what I am doing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will not even be wearing my ering the week of the wedding! My wedding band is a wrap that goes around my ering so we are getting it saudered together before the wedding. It should only take a day or 2 but I'm sure it's going to drive me nuts not wearing it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My e-ring is actually my wedding ring.  I'm going super traditional celtic and my Fiance is just going to flip my claddah ring around.  I don't like wearing alot of jewelery, so it workede out that I only ever after to worry about the one ring!
  • I'm not sure whether I'd like my mom to hold onto it, or if I'm just going to wear it on my left hand and then switch the rings later. I'll probably do the latter.
    You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.- Dr. Seuss Wedding Countdown Ticker
    83 Invited image 32 Attending image2 Declined image Still Waiting 49 image
  • I haven't decided yet if I'm getting my rings soldered before or after the wedding.
    I have two wedding bands so if I do get them soldered before I will just go ringless for a few days and if I do not then I will wear the bottom band and e-ring on my left hand and FI will add the top band during the exchange.

It changes from day to day but today I am leaning towards having it done beforehand so he can place the whole set on at one time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So I had the invite ticker here but lost count and didn't feel like fixing it.
  • IM going to get mine soldered before, as well. I personally don't like when brides wear their engagement right and then add another ring during the wedding. vie only seen 1 person do that and it was weird to me.  Normally, i've seen bare fingers, which the rings added to. I can go without wearing it for a few days, for it to look perfect and together for the wedding :)
  • I'm actually not wearing my e-ring down the aisle. My fiancé and i decided not to spend money on a wedding band for me right now, so instead i'm just going to give him the e-ring at the rehearsal and that is what he is going to put on my finger at the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards