New York-Western

Help from Rochester brides!?!?!??!?

Hey ladies! 
I live in Syracuse and usually post on the CNY board, but I thought I might get some help here...
I have off work next Thursday (yay for Veteran's Day!) so I am taking this opportunity to drive out to Rochester to do some more dress shopping... and I am thinking that since it is 11/11 and I am a Veteran... maybe this will be my lucky day... maybe?!?!
So... since I am not familiar with Rochester at all.... I would love some help form the local ladies...
Do you know of any good dress shops?  Could you possibly provide the name and/or address or website or any other important info about them (ex- appointments required or suggested).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks and have a super awesome Friday!!!
Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Help from Rochester brides!?!?!??!?

• amyl06amyl06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey there -
      I'm from Rochester but actually found my dress in Buffalo...go figure!  Anyways, there are some really nice bridal shops in Rochester:
      Peggys Bridal on Monroe Ave 
      Enchanted Evening in Fairpot
    I think both stores prefer appointments. 

• spenet1spenet1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about boutiques, but there is an Alfred Angelo shop in Greece. They were very helpful when we went looking for BM dresses. They do suggest appointments.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011

I don't know what you are looking for but their is a great store ina tiny town between Roc and Cuse.

Heart to Heart bridal http://www.hearttoheartbridal.net/
    Its right off the 90. It doesn't look like much from the outside at all but on the inside they have dresses from $300-$3000, and the seamstress is great! No appointments needed and your are more then welcome to look around and try on as many dresses as you like.

Places like Peggy's, Jaquilines, and a few others limit you to only 3-5 dresses and aren't that great with working on budgets

• edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the suggestions, ladies!  I need some serious help! 
    If there are any more, keep 'em coming!!!
    Smile
    Online Garage Sale
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FSIL lives in Rochester she went to Peggy's and had only good things to say. Me and her tried to go there once but couldn't get an appointment so call early if you are thinking about going there. Good luck!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    Two of my girlfriends & I went to Peggy's. I called ahead & made an appt. When we arrived, the door was locked & we were required to remove our shoes even before setting foot in the boutique. During the time we were there, one of my friends returned to the front desk & asked for a glass of water & was told absolutely not, it might get on the dresses. She said that she would stay in the lobby area w/it & was still told no. The consultant called me "Honeybunch" the whole time (although I'm probably older than her!). She asked what my budget was & I said no more than $1,000; she sniffed & said that I could look at gowns from their trunk shows & sale gowns, & two other small (like a dozen dresses each) racks. None of those dresses were orderable...you had to take what was on the rack that fit. And I was allowed to try on five dresses, no more. My friends & I were amused at the pretension, & I'm definitely not buying my dress there! Good luck to you, wherever you end up looking... 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow... that is absolutely ridiculous. 
    I have heard of the no shoes thing... they do it at NYB in Syracuse, but 5 dresses max?  Really? 
    I will probably not waste my time in that store.  This whole dress shopping experience has been stressful enough, the last thing I need is some snotty bridal salon snubbing their nose at my $1200 budget.  Ugh.
    Thank you for the head's up and I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    If 1200 is your budget i HIGHLY suggest Heart to Heart. I found it just by chance after having my "1200 after alterations and add ons" budget was laughed at a few of those stores.

Heart to heart allows you try on as many as you want, walk threw the store, and they have great prices with some very designer looking dresses.

Antonette's and Bridal Belle have a decent selection but the focus is on BM dresses. And Bridal Belle was pretty rude to my sister in laws  so I wasn't impressed there.
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely stay away from Peggy's too.  I got my dress in Buffalo but two of my close friends got their dresses from Peggy's.  They do make you take your shoes off and I think the dress limit is ridiculous. My friend who just got married last month found a big rip in the back of her dress when she went to pick it up the day before her wedding (also they hadn't steamed it for her as they said they would).  They also charged her almost as much in alterations as the dress cost. My other friend was given a hard time when she asked for additional alterations because the dress was bunching around her hips. (They basically told her she was being ridiculous unti I told them off for her).  Then the bustle broke before the reception even started...I had to sew the button for her bustle back on while she was in the receiving line at the reception.
     Another friend of mine got her dress from a shop in Geneseo (south of Roc) and they were great to her I think it was called the Wedding Dress and Tux shop. 
  • edited December 2011
    FYI, there is no "dress limit" at Peggy's, you just start with 5 to get an idea of what style you want and then the consultant will pull more if one of the first five isn't "the one." My buying experience with them was great, can't comment on alterations or anything other than the fact that they offered to shorten the veil for free and seem to have everything very organized.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards