Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Would you miss the meal?

We're considering having our wedding reception be just horderves and drinks. Our wedding isn't until 6pm and the reception will go until 11pm.  Would you miss a meal? We would have a lot of horderves and add in some very hearty almost meal like ones. 

We our going through meal options with our caterer  but with the ceremony starting at 6 and the cocktail hour starting at 7:30 and the reception ending at 11, I'm just not sure if a meal fits. We also can't change the time as 6 is the earliest our venue can start the ceremony.

TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot!

Re: Would you miss the meal?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that your wedding seems to be right around meal time.  I'm not saying that the heavy apps won't work (as long as you include a couple of stations), I'm just saying that a meal would not be out of place.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would miss it, and I would be hungry and unhappy without a meal with that timing.

Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'd miss it too. If the service starts at 6:00, people will start arriving by 5:00/5:30, which means leaving their houses earlier than that. I'm of the opinion that the reception is a way to thank guests for being in your lives, so it's important to keep them happily fed. Maybe you could cut out the cocktail hour. How about a cocktail half hour? I ask because your ceremony sounds long - you've got an hour and a half planned for it, so guests will be starving by the time you start feeding them at 7:30.
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd be hungry. Most weddings are less than 30 mins. Maybe you can have your cocktail hour a little earlier. Then you'd have time for a meal or heavy apps.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings with the heavy appetizers and nobody missed a meal. In fact, most of them had more food than the weddings I've been at where we were served a meal.

This is why we are doing exactly what you are doing - very heavy appetizers, including skwered chicken and beef, veggies and even individual salads served on a thick slightly cupped tortillas the size of your hand.

Our caterers told us most people are doing this now and they make sure there is plenty of everything to go around.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm 6pm is dinner time for a lot of people. i would consider moving the time up a little later so people have a chance to eat something more substantial if they like before they come to the wedding.
  • Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is dinner time, so you either need to serve dinner or provide enough apps that it could replace a dinner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would miss dinner. I agee with either change the times and serve dinner or have a few different meat carving stations or what not so people can get their fill.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, serve a meal. Why can't cocktail hour start at 7, and you eat at 8?
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't, but I don't go to weddings for the meal.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think we may do a light meal with heavy appetizers and start the cocktail hour a half hour early. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would stuff my face & make a meal out of the apps so I can drink more without getting tipsy to fast. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards