Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Do we need to have people throw stuff at us after ceremony??

I don't know if I want to have my pictures taken with birdseed in my hair! And what do the bride and groom do while everyone is filing out of the church and getting in line outside to attack us, anyway? Just stand at the altar like idiots? (It's a tiny church, almost a chapel, really.)

Re: Do we need to have people throw stuff at us after ceremony??

• You don't have to give them anything to throw. It just makes a mess anyway.
  • We are doing bubbles.  We thought about doing sparklers after the reception but then thought about our family and how that would be a bad idea so we decided on the bubbles.
  • Nothing is required. We weren't allowed to do certain things like birdseed either per church rules or bc of mess concerns. Our FG's passed out bubbles during the recessional for our guests to blow.
  • Just a note about bubbles...I know they're popular for weddings, but please keep in mind that they can be dangerous.  Bubbles make walking surfaces -- floors, cement, pavement, grass -- slippery and dangerous.  I'm always nervous when I'm at a wedding where people are blowing bubbles, because I have slipped on bubble-coated pavement before.  Imagine you, in your wedding dress and heels, slipping and falling...or worse, imagine a guest falling and getting injured at your wedding.
  • No.  You don't need to have people throw stuff at you after the ceremony.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • One bride & groom I saw had their wedding party make an archway (with their arms/hands) while the rest of the guests stood around and cheered outside at the exit of the church and the B&G went through it and jumped into their fancy car to drive away.  It was kind of cute, and didn't involve throwing stuff.

I don't know where they went to wait though!  They exited down the aisle at the end of the ceremony and then hid in a room in the church somewhere while the guests were ushered outside, then they appeared and made their exit to the car.  It was a bit strange having them do 2 exits and them disappearing, but it did work without them waiting at the front of the church.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_need-people-throw-stuff-after-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:16f87807-6e49-4d83-9be4-e6c7127b2addPost:7072cc8d-7d6a-4212-9b1e-1c15c9d658eb">Re: Do we need to have people throw stuff at us after ceremony??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a note about bubbles...I know they're popular for weddings, but please keep in mind that they can be dangerous.  Bubbles make walking surfaces -- floors, cement, pavement, grass -- slippery and dangerous.  I'm always nervous when I'm at a wedding where people are blowing bubbles, because I have slipped on bubble-coated pavement before.  Imagine you, in your wedding dress and heels, slipping and falling...or worse, imagine a guest falling and getting injured at your wedding.
    Posted by connelly2be[/QUOTE]

We bought small bottles of bubbles and if some are spilled it shouldn't cause a problem.  I've seen this happen once when people dropped the 1 oz size bottles (kids dropped it all in the same area) but with the small tubes (like we bought) this shouldn't be a problem.
  • You don't have to have anyone do anything but clap, if you want.
    We are doing sparklers- wedding date is 7/2/11.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I kind of want some kind of flower petals but idk yet cause it might be like a waiste of flowers.. so im still thinking about that...lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards