Massachusetts-Boston

Seating poll 2: who sits where?

So the 2nd part of my question involves if we DO assign tables, obviously we have to decide who sits where, and it's not always clear.  Okay, so some people are clear (like parents/siblings/etc)....but what about when there is an odd number of people...do you leave a chair empty?  or what about mixing up the "groups"--like instead of sitting all my work people together because they all work together, is it better to mix it up a little if I think people's personalities mix better--like at a table of 8, do 4 people from work and 4 people from school if I know they have something else in common--like, they all run, or all are Sox fans or something?

I know I am totally overthinking this, and will probably end up just throwing people together how they fit, but I guess I'm interested in what other people did (bc I've been to weddings with all different seating situations).
Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
by Shannon Sorensen Photography
My hubby & I rock the frock.
Bio

Re: Seating poll 2: who sits where?

• edited December 2011
    (again, can't see the poll on this computer)

If there is an empty seat, just take away the chair and place setting so it's not obvious.

I really prefer seating people with people they know. They are coming to the wedding for you, but also are probably excited to see their friends/family/coworkers and talk with them. Personally, I'd much rather get to sit with my friends than meet your coworkers, you know?

But I know other people are big avocates of the other way and getting people up and mingling. I'm just not that social! :)
  • edited December 2011
    We kept WP, family, work, college friends and social friends together in groups. All of the people at most of our tables already knew each other...and it makes it comfortable and less awkward for your guests - then again, only my opinion.

I know with our family and friends this has happened at their weddings at well...the ones that mix it up are usually the awkward tables that don't have as much fun and strain for conversation. Then again, it's only for dinner and then guests end up on the dance floor or at the bar in "their" groups anyway.

It really depends on how you want the room set...ultimately it is your decision :)
  • mjessie84mjessie84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm keeping all of my friends/FI friends/coworkers/Family together at their own tables. I think it is just more comfortable that way!! As much as the most social person likes meeting new people, you still want to ultimately enjoy the evening with your closest friends and the people you feel the most comfortable with. Also, at our wedding we have everything from tables of 6 to tables of 10. This is to accomodate everyone to make sure they get to sit with who they know and like.
    save the date Visit The Knot! June 19, 2010!
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe that you should try to keep groups together as much as possible.  It is more fun as a guest to be seated with those you know.  However, it never works out perfectly so sometimes you have to mix a few groups.  Just make sure you try to seat every couple with at least one other couple/person they know.  (so the 4 and 4 break is okay, but I wouldnt' put 1 couple with a group of 6 they dont' know if you can avoid it).

If you have uneven numbers, like a table of 7, have them set it for 7.  Gives them more space and there is no need for the extra place setting.
  • edited December 2011
    im going to mix everyone up i think. I want everyone to get to know eachother, plus i want them up and mingling anyway. if they know eachother theyll stay and chat
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Do NOT mix people up on purpose! Sure, if you have to put people who don't know each other together it will be fine- I've been at the random table more than once and I end up having a good time, but those were mostly at weddings where I didn't know other people- I'd be PISSED if I was there with friends and we couldn't even sit together- wedding does not equal sixth grade math class. Besides, people are never going to see each other again, they don't need to make new friends.

That said, if you have to separate people I think it's fine. Just don't do it on purpose.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_seating-poll-2-sits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:ce079da5-dfd9-45a3-bbfd-9696895bba97Post:25810313-0a9b-4527-96e5-45efba2fa97a">Re: Seating poll 2: who sits where?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do NOT mix people up on purpose! Sure, if you have to put people who don't know each other together it will be fine- I've been at the random table more than once and I end up having a good time, but those were mostly at weddings where I didn't know other people- I'd be PISSED if I was there with friends and we couldn't even sit together- wedding does not equal sixth grade math class. Besides, people are never going to see each other again, they don't need to make new friends. That said, if you have to separate people I think it's fine. Just don't do it on purpose.
    Posted by RedSoxGirl10[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this.  At my cousin's wedding, she purposefully mixed people on purpose, thinking that she wants everyone to get to know each other blah blah blah..  It was SUCH an awful wedding. I totally did not enjoy it and people at the tables were all awkward and wondering why they are all sitting with strangers.  People want to have fun with people they know at weddings, not to meet people who they might not ever see again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Having just finished my 3rd seating assignment in 3 years, I think the easiest is to keep people togehter who know each other.  There is always going to be the random couple who deosn't know anyone.  In this case, I would put them with friends I know to be very friendly and welcoming.  At all 3 venues where my daughtrer's had their weddings, we gave the venue a seating plan with how many people were at each table.  That way, if there was a table of 7, there would only be 7 chairs and 7 place settings.    Good luck.  You and my daughter are getting married the same day!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards